Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabear_on

How many bull frogs are too many???

mamabear_on
13 years ago

Hello everyone. I would really appreciate some assistance on two matters. One is, how many bull frogs are too many for an 8 x 10 pond that is maybe 30 deep at it's deepest and 2 - can they be relocated?

Two years ago I received a bag full of tadpoles from a client...he lives out in the county and his pool cover was full so he brought me some for the pond. At the time I thought that they where toads and would leave....well it turns out that they didn't develop into frogs until the second season ( I have to add that I did spread the wealth with all my neighbours that have ponds)and they are now reproducing. I have tadpoles from last year that are now little frogs and more tadpoles from this years. I am also getting toads....there is a lot of action going on in my pond...lol

I have to add that my cat has been doing some population control...he thinks that they are fun toys for his enjoyment and he plays with them....if he can catch one that is ...until they die.

Thank you

Comments (23)

• catherinet
    13 years ago

I've heard that 1 can be too many. Yes, they can be relocated. They eat small animals and children.

• railheadwitz
    13 years ago

I've got about 8-10 Bullfrogs and a Leopard frog or two in my 1800 gal pond. I feed them nightcrawlers a couple times a week and any crickets I find around the yard.
    I enjoy the Bull's and their occasional song. It's the male toads looking for love with their high pitched twill (like a child blowing one of those plastic whistles) that will drive one up a wall.
    {{gwi:209792}}

• koijoyii
    13 years ago

In my pond 1 is too many. I had them in my previous pond and couldn't understand why I kept finding dead birds floating in my pond. One day a bird landed on the waterfall to have a drink, the frog got a hold on it and jumped into the pond. Before I could act the bird was dead. That solved the mystery.

railheadwitz:

How long have they been co-habitating. One day your leopard frogs may become a meal for your bull frogs.

Jenny

• mybusyfamily6
    13 years ago

railheadwitz: how did you get yours trained to come up to you? and not jump in the pool as soon as you do?? I have a baby one about 2 inches big.

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

Railheadwitz.. that is a fabulous shot. Thanks for sharing.

• lisa11310
    13 years ago

It all depends on what you are serving with them! LOL
    Yes 1 is too many, you will not have any other frogs soon and Yes you will have dead birds. I relocate all the bullies that find my pond, though they are good eating!

• railheadwitz
    13 years ago

Koijoy,
    I've heard others talk about bullfrogs eating birds, I haven't seen it yet. It would take one hell of a big Bull

to get anything larger than a sparrow into it's mouth.
    The leopards have been around for a couple years now. The pond is about 20 by 10 foot so evidently that

must be enough room for all to get along unless the Bull's have future plans. LoL
    I was more concerned about the Snapping Turtle eating everything than the frogs eating each other. :-())

{{gwi:209795}}

mybusyfamily,
    If you're out by your pond quite often they should get used to you and become approachable. I guess it

would depend on how much time you're with them, and how trusting your frogs are. :-()) I started out feeding them

crickets, switched to worms, and now alternate between the two. Sit down and toss a few worms out in front of you and see what happens.

pashta,
    You're welcome.

lisa,

Awwww,____ I couldn't eat 'Lurch' or 'Lumpy'! :-(()

Witz

I've got some pond pics here: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/RailheadWitz/Pond/?start=0

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

Witz,

Great pond. I enjoyed your pictures. What an amazing job you did. I'm sure you get a great deal of enjoyment from it.

I grew up on the edge of a swamp and we used to have snapping turtle visitors. I even had a baby one in my aquarium for a while. I discovered that a large female can jump about 6' when poked with a stick to get it to go back to the swamp. Yep.. they sure are "snappy" critters.

Anne

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Railheadwitz,
    Is that a dead bird in your pond? A dead chipmunk? I'm having trouble figuring out what the image is.

• railheadwitz
    13 years ago

Anne,
    Thank you and yes, it was worth all the work. I also grew up near a swamp and spent alot of time hunting there in my childhood. If it's solitude your looking for there's no place like a swamp! :-())

catherinet,

If you're talking about the pic above at 22:28 it's the head of a snapping turtle that came to visit getting a snort of air. Rather than tear the pond apart trying to get her out I got up early the next morning when she was trying to build a nest in the berm and caught her. I took her to a conservation district a few miles away.

Witz

• tubmon
    13 years ago

Here's what I found floating in my pond a few years back. Final encounter for both. Relocated to their final burial spot.

{{gwi:209797}}

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Thanks Witz! That's a relief. I didn't want to think it was a dead bird or chipmunk!
    tubmom.........do you think eating the bird killed the frog?? Maybe it suffocated?

• railheadwitz
    13 years ago

Jeez tubmon, looks like an inflatable Bullfrog!
    The Bull hadn't swallowed it yet, you'd think it would have just spit it out.

• dirtslinger2
    13 years ago

Please stop spreading bullfrogs around!
    While everyone knows ignorance IS bliss... bullfrogs eat up all the local amphibians (and more) creating ponds with only bullfrogs in them.
    If they are native to your area then that is one thing. But most bullfrogs are simply spread as you have done- to neighbors and friends, county to county- across the rockies, etc etc.

• railheadwitz
    13 years ago

dirtslinger,

I'm not spreading Bullfrogs nor am I encouraging the spreading of Bullfrogs!

These things introduced themselves to my pond as have the toads and snapping turtle. Obviously they must be native to or were introduced to this area.

Also, I'm not giving them away to neighbors or friends. If they choose to go on their own, like they came to my place, then that's their business.

If you're insinuating that I'm ignorant, I'll go ahead and assume that you're an obnoxious jerk.

• rsingley
    13 years ago

By the tone of the post, I'm guessing obnoxious jerk also... Not interested in your soap-box rantings.

• railheadwitz
    13 years ago

By its own admission it appears that 'dirtslinger' has done exactly what it accused me of doing,__ introducing non native species.
    (http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ponds/msg0322262730946.html) posted March 30, 2009

In reply of Mar 31, 09 at 11:03 it states: "These are not turtles found in this area- I really doubt in the wild they hibernate for 6+ months."

Then take a look at thisabout the 'Red-eared slider' from Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eared_slider)
    "It is a native of the southern United States, but has become common in various areas of the world due to the pet trade."
    And in the paragraph 'U.S. State Law':
    "Some states have other laws and regulations regarding possession of red-eared slider because they can be an invasive species_______".

And as far as "Please stop spreading bullfrogs around!"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfrog
    "The American Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana), often simply known as the Bullfrog in the United States, is an aquatic frog, a member of the family Ranidae, or "true frogs", native to much of North America."

• ademink
    13 years ago

Here is my bad boy doing his thing. Snacking on full sized starlings - he gave up sparrows a couple of years ago. I love him and his 7 salad plate sized pals.

{{gwi:200280}}

{{gwi:200282}}

• frogman4_gw
    13 years ago

Great shots of you with your frogs, railheadwitz. As for the other photos posted I think my frog friends are being framed. lol

• frogman4_gw
    13 years ago

I took a few minutes to view your pond shots on Photobucket and have to say you did and excellent job. Thanks for sharing.

I also feed my frogs night crawlers although I have not been able to get that close when feeding. I also have a bug zapper hanging 12 inches over my smallest pond which creates a feeding frenzy for the juvenile frogs.

Fm4

• riverspots
    13 years ago

Railheadwitz-I wouldn't rely on the wiki sites for the complete facts. Bullfrogs are only native to the parts of North America that are east of the Mississippi. In the western states and Canadian provinces, they are considered invasive and are contributing to the decline of native amphibians.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Bullfrog

• ademink
    13 years ago

lol frogman...you can pretend you never saw him in action! thanks for the compliments on the pond - i love it. :)

i actually love birds more than anything but these dang frogs are HILARIOUS. I have to give them serious credit for their hunting prowess. I have only ever seen them eat sparrows and starlings so even though i don't consider any bird a "pest"...at least they aren't eating the songbirds. :)

• railheadwitz
    13 years ago

Thanks frogman and my frogs would never think of doing anything like that either. :-())

riverspots, Yes, you are right on that, they probably got out out West on the trans-continental railroad. :-())

Witz