Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troy_l

fish lice help

troy_l
11 years ago

I recently aquired several large koi from a friend of mine who sold there house and was moving out of state. She gave me 5 of her prized koi (They were her oldest and favorite fish). So I went and caught the fish and brought them home. I aclimated to my pond and released them. As I releast them into my pond I gave them a good once over to check them out. I found nothing. I DO KNOW YOU NEED TO QUARENTEEN. I just didnt have anything big enough to put these monster sized koi in. About 3 weeks later they started acting a bit odd. Jumping out of the water then a few days later I noticed them flashing. I went and grabbed a net and a large cooler and cought the one I had seen doing the jumping and flashing. there were several doing it but this one was doing it the most. Well after a trip to my local pond place I find they have fish lice. They had me buy this medicain. I treated the water how and how much the pond place told me to. With no avail about a week later they were still jumping and flashing. So they told me to try this next med called Paracid. We are just starting week 3 and I can visually see lice on these fishes tails. Not all of them have it viual but several you can see it on. My question is... Is paracid a good medicain for fish lice? and if not what do I need to use to get this nasty paracite off my fish and out of my pond. I do have orphs in this pond. But If I have to I will move them to a small pond that will need to be treated a difernt way. Any help would be great. I don't want to lose the 1k worth of fish my friend gave me let alone the ones I have had for 4 years now.

Thanks for you help

Comments (2)