Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancingcook

Guidance for adding waterfall to existing pond

dancingcook
13 years ago

Hello GWers,

My little pond (4x6) has a fountain with a pump that's actually far to strong, so water splashes out and I keep having to refill the pond. Of course, I could buy a new, smaller pump, but that would be far too easy :) While thinking about that, I started looking here at various waterfalls in ponds, especially Cliff and Joann's waterfalls. I really like their low falls. So, I was inspired to try to create a little waterfall in my own pond.

I tried it out with some aquarium tubing that I had, connected to the pump with garden hose connectors, and it worked beautifully. Now I want to install it properly, without the tubing floating on the surface. I bought some firm pond tubing which can be tucked behind/under the rocks. But I'm not sure how to go about actually installing it in an existing pond without emptying the pond, which I don't really want to do.

The pond has rocks along the walls and flat stones on the edges, none of which are actually cemented in, which means that the stones are easy to move, but also that when I move one, others tend to fall down to the bottom of the pond. I'd really appreciate any advice on the easiest way to install the tubing.

Here's a photo showing the fountain splashing (the net is no longer covering the pond):

{{gwi:210128}}

And here's a close-up of the rocks (more recent photo with different plants)

{{gwi:210129}}

Comments (9)

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Hi Dancingcook,

Just FYI, your pump might have a dial on it, and you could turn the spray down, or you could buy a little special clamp (I think its called a "restrictor") that allows you to clamp down the tubing, so not so much water gets through.
    I have a set-up like yours. All I did was to attach the tubing to the outflow of the pump (or a side outlet) and put your pump on the opposite side of your pond as the waterfall, and just guide it along the bottom side of your pond, and then bring it up close to the waterfall.
    You can hide it under rocks.
    And you can hide the hose in the water by putting some plants over that area.
    Just be sure you stabilize the tubing well at the waterfall. You wouldn't want it coming loose and emptying out your pond.
    And just in case this would ever happen, you can put your pump on a block of some sort, so if it does drain, it will stop emptying while there is still a few inches of water for your fish.
    Good luck!

• dancingcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Catherinet, thanks for the encouragement. Now I feel I can do it simply, as you describe, rather than trying to do something elaborate. I couldn't find a switch to dial the pump down. I'm going to experiment this week-end, and will post what happens :)

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Hi dancingcook,
    One thing I forgot to mention is that its important to line your waterfall with pond liner and bring it down over the pond's side a little, so that it doesn't leak through the rocks and out.
    I have an inground stocktank and one end I built up the soil a little in a semi-circle and laid the liner over it, before I laid rocks on it. That way, if it leaks, it will drain down into the pond.
    Here is a picture of that flow restrictor I mentioned.
    But you may find once to add some tubing and have it go up a little to your waterfall, the pressure won't be as strong.
    If it is, you can get one of these and thread the tubing through it and clamp it down until you get the flow you like.
    {{gwi:196594}}

• kalevi
    13 years ago

You can also put a T into your tubing at the exit of the pump and divert some of the water to go under water instead of into the fountain. This is probably better than restricting the flow which may damage the pump.

• catherinet
    13 years ago

oops.....didn't know that.

• diggery
    13 years ago

As far as damage to the pump goes, restricting the flow *from* the pump (output) is harmless. It's restricting the flow *to* the pump (intake) that can cause damage.

• dancingcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, last week-end, I ended up cleaning out the pond after all. Once I got started, I realized that the pond was full of muck on the bottom, and it made things so much easier to do once I started emptying it. I put the goldfish in a bucket of old pond water (one kept trying to jump out!), pulled out the waterlily and then just emptied everything onto the garden. It was a real mess, and I'm very glad I decided to clean it.

Eventually, I built the prototype of the waterfall on one side, and set a small pot on the other side for water to trickle into and out down the rocks. I decided not to 'glue' the pipes in place yet, but to see how I like it first. From having a pump that was too strong for the fountain, I now think the pump could actually be stronger :) I may take out the second pipe and only have one trickle, although I actually quite like having both. And the benefit is that the stones on what was supposed to be a bog/marginal shelf but which were never covered in enough water, now get watered every day, so I can use the shelf at last. Thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Here's a little video.

Here is a link that might be useful: mini waterfall

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Hi dancingcook,
    It looks really good! Another benefit of having 2 different trickling areas is that your water will be more oxygenated.
    Cleaning out a pond (no matter how little) is a big job.....but its great when its all done! I hope your fish are happier now (and you too!).
    Just remember to have your pump/filter as far away from the where the water trickles out, so you circulate the most water.
    Again, it looks great!

• dancingcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Cahterinet, thanks again for all your advice. I didn't know that I was supposed to place the pump far away from the fall/trickle, but I did it anyway, because I wanted to "hide" it under the waterlily leaves :) My fish definitely seem happier. The sound of the water trickling is so tranquil, it was worth the work.