Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Test Kits

Posted by chris_in_ct (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 17:19

Can someone recommend some good test kits and where they can be purchased at a reaonable price online?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Test Kits

the tetra pond master test kit is really good. and it's pretty cheap as well. I use this one all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: tetra pond test kit

o

Good question. Thanks for asking. I needed to know that too.

o

• Posted by drh1 z4 VT (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 22:49

I would recommend staying away from the test strips (specially the pH type). They tend to be inaccurate and have a rather short shelf-life based on my experiences. The liquid types may be a bit more expensive but have better accuracy, and cost lest per test over the long run. I've had very good luck with Aquarium Pharmaceutical products - an example of a Google search for price is shown below. Whenever I have tested them against published laboratory/research methods they've agreed quite well. The tendency is to buy a kit for testing everything you can think of :-)) but eventually you'll find which measurements ... and how often you'll need to do them ... work best for your situation. Hope this helps.
---David

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search for Aquarium Pharmaceutical pH test kit

o
more info

Be aware that ALL test kits should be replaced yearly. The regents in them can go bad, making test results inaccurate. You don't need to buy a complete new kit, just replacement regents.

Also be aware that there are two kinds of ammonia test kits. One reads only the unbound ammonia (the kind that can still hurt the fish) and the other reads ALL ammonia, including ammonia that has been rendered harmless by ammonia binders. For most purposes, you will want to use a Salicylate type test kit. Here's a link that describs each type of test kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: ammonia test kit info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here