Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_on

A Caution/Warning to Ponders

Holly_ON
11 years ago

A little toddler lost his life in a garden pond today. He wandered into a neighbours yard while his caregivers were distracted. There was no gate. The neighbour has been charged with criminal negligence causing death. This is the second drowning this year in our area in garden ponds. It seems to me that the negligence is multi-faceted but the situation is devastating to all involved. Our gate will be getting a lock in addition to the latch it has!

Comments (11)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It's a far too frequently repeated tragedy happening in many places. By law here all swimming pools must have child proof fencing and gates. But I don't think garden ponds are included in that. There is a big emphasis here on teaching toddlers (babies even) how to swim. For babies it's a matter of them learning to stay upright and 'dog-paddle'. And for older it's acual swimming. It seems to work for those that make the effort, but despite all the publicity given to it there's still reports of deaths.

• Holly_ON
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Where this happened, it is the law that anything with more than 600mm of water must be fenced.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

How Tragic!!!!! My rebuilt pond(when it ever gets finished!;-(!)will have a wire topper against the otter, so I won't even have to worry about my Chihuahua anymore! (Darn dog just has to jump up and walk around the edge cuz that's where my attention is!! Sheesh. I cannot imagine what the families must be going thru right now....my prayers and condolences go out to them!

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Code in the US is similar. A pond deeper than 18-24" (varies by city) is treated exactly the same as a swimming pool. Fencing requirements vary by city too, those with the highest child drowning rates have the toughest codes. It's unfortunate it take a lot of deaths to change building codes.

Here in Phoenix we have a children's long term care hospital called Hacienda. As you meet the kids and learn their stories you find most are there because of near drownings. Very sad.

I see lots of people building deep ponds in front yards and unfenced backyards. They generally get really mad if you even mention building code. Hard to imagine the hell of being responsible for harming a kid, much less the huge legal costs, just for being dumb.

• flora2b
    11 years ago

My heart goes out to the families......so many losses.
    The sad truth is that it takes less than 2" of water and fences are not always the answer.... a friend recently lost her granddaughter to a bathtub drowning.....we must all be vigilant, the answers are not always easy.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    That is sad , can't hardly listen to the news without hearing about this in my area mostly from swimming pools .
    Had a what turned out to be funny experience with a neighbor boy . My garden pool is fenced BUT he climbed the fence and I was terrified something would happen to him.
    I asked both him and his parents to stay away from it with no results . So went the other way and invited him in and showed him the wonders of the pool. He was thrilled with the fish. When he asked what kind of fish they were i told him they were "Man eating sharks!!"" Don't ever get anywhere near the water!! He wouldn't believe so told him to take off a shoe and stick his foot in the water.
    Still didn't believe they were sharks but would NOT stick his foot in the water even though I assured him i had emergency medical standing by lol
    Ended on a happy note as he and his family moved to another state. since that time the yougest neighbors are in late forties and so far have not bothered my pool.lol
    Have often wonderd if the kid tells stories of his "Shark encounter in florida lol gary

• Holly_ON
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I put a lock on the gate and the neighbours are complaining so I'm having a key made to give to those without any kids!

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    11 years ago

I just built a small pond in my yard with no water in it yet. The max water depth would be 35". I cannot fence my yard completely. So I was thinking of putting a fence just around the pond. What is a minimum safe height? I have been worried about this since we have young children in the neighborhood and they like to play in my yard at times.

• Holly_ON
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You would have to check the regulations where you live. You may be able to do that online depending on whe you live. Here it is four feet.

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Here in AZ the code is minimum 5' tall non-climbable (no horizontals except at bottom and top) and a self closing gate. You can also buy temporary pool fences.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will check here and figure a solution.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting