Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agap015

goldfish color change

agap015
15 years ago

Hi

My common goldfish from the Meijer pet dept, had babies (fry?). How long till they change to gold color? They are about a month and a half old now.

Thanks

George

Comments (7)

• horton
    15 years ago

George, goldfish fry are usually dark brown in colour and can stay that way for a year or more. Some change to gold [or other colours] sooner than others, you may see some colour change in weeks or even a few months.

Goldfish can and do, change colours all through their lives, or they can be a combination of colours. Shabunkins for example can have two or more colours.

It all depends on the chemical make up of the fishes scales and skin composition.
    The scales have a substance [nacre]which is similar to mother of pearl, that reflects light, which in turn, effects the colouration of a particular fish
    There is also another substance called melanin in the fishes skin. Having a lot of it [or a lack of it] can determine how dark [or light] it's colour[s] may be.

Goldfish can be gold, red, yellow, orange, blue,white, black or even a mixture of them all.
    If a fish loses a scale or two,[during the mating ritual usually] the spot where the scale used to be, can turn darker or even black. That is more times than not,just the skin underneath changing colour due to it's chemical composition and is nothing to be too concerned about.

Some times however, this is important to remember, it could be the sign of a more serious condition and the dark spot, should be examined close up and watch in the future, for any changes.
    "Horton"

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

Horton.. I always learn something when you post. Thanks.

George.. I don't know anything scientific but I can tell you about last summer's babies. Three were born whitish: one totaly pinkish white, two pinkish white with some red. The rest were all born black. Of the 25 or so surviving, some have changed to orange, some are in the process of changing, and some are still black.

Here's Molly (mother) and babies:
    {{gwi:208846}}

You can see the differences in color. So, to answer your question... Who knows when they will change or if they will.

Molly is black and has been since she was born (volunteer from an egg on plants) The father, Ito, is an orange and white comet.

Ito and babies:
    {{gwi:208847}}

Anne

• hollyhockdoll
    15 years ago

I don't have very good pics of this year's babies, but there are about 30 of them, most are combinations of white, orange and black, and 6 or 7 are totally black. They started getting their coloring at about an inch long. I have to admit, I have no idea which of my 8 bigger goldfish are the parents. This all happened during "pea soup stage" of the pond balancing. I missed the whole thing, but I suspect one of my shubunkins as at least one parent since I have so many calico colored babies!

The three big blurry blobs are my bigger GF, the small blurry blobs below them are the babies:

{{gwi:212169}}

These three (on the far right watching their elders) have the calico look of the shubunkin:
    {{gwi:212170}}

The one on the far left of this picture is all orange and white:
    {{gwi:212171}}

I've also got some orange w/ the black points (don't know what that coloring is called), and some whose coloring is just plain weird. I can't believe it was just a couple of weeks ago that hubby spotted the little guys for the first time along the edges of the pond! Whatever colors they become, enjoy your babies!

Jill

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Intially I had 3 or 4 goldfish and 2 shubunkins - though being Walmart fish I don't really know for sure. Their first babies (26 of them 2 years ago) were almost all calico by the time they were 1" long, and the few that survived where orange and white. Last years babies were mostly blackish, and are only now finishing their color change. 3 are calico, 3 are orange with black stripes down their backs (which they're losing), and 2 or 3 that are still black so far.

Every year my pond is an education....S

• horton
    15 years ago

Pashta,Thank you, I'm glad the information was of interest to you.
    "Horton"

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

It is common for fry to change more slowly and some not change at all as the years go by in a pond.

Fish breeders cull these fish but ponders typically don't.

• agap015
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the input. I guess I will just have to be patient!! HA HA

I love my 1600 gallon aquarium!

George