Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do coons like watercress?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 20:29

I think the coons have been in the back yard. Several of my newly planted flowers have been dug up. I had a beautiful batch of watercress floating in a styrofoam floating ring and all of a sudden there's hardly any of them left. Its in my really small preform, so I think they can reach it from the side.
I'm glad my stocktanks don't have a shelf around the sides. Still, the coons find something to mess up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do coons like watercress?

Are there any snails in your pond? That might me what they were after.

o

If I had to guess I would say that the pond temperatures are going up and the watercress has died back for the summer. I know my watercress in my pond has died back. When it did it died back fast. But it will be back this fall and next winter I will be pulling 50 lbs every two weeks out of the stream.
Mike

o

Oh, so it likes cool weather?

o

No it loves cool or cold weather. If you can keep it in unfrozen water it will stay green all winter and grow like crazy.
Mike

o

Thanks for that info mike.

o

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 8:44

I have grown watercress for years and yes it does prefer cooler temperatures, but it does not die back in the summer here and we have hot summers. It becomes slightly "woody" with thick stalks and lots of leaves. If you plan to use it in salads etc, the leaves from the tips are best during summer.
Some people grow mustard cress thinking it is True Watercress (Nasturtium officinale).
"Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Watercress Nasturtium officinale

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 23:48

Is it safe to assume the grocery store 'watercress' is true watercress? I bought some a week ago, placed it in the top of the waterfall as well sticking pieces out from rocks (with the stems in the water) and it definitely rooted fast, within 6 days. The price was right.

Tonight I saw three Blue Jays splashing around in the top of the waterfall among the watercress, though I assume all they were after was a drink of water and a bath (the watercress didn't look at all harmed).

I've never noticed so many birds visiting the pond since I redid my waterfall.

Glen

o

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 6:43

Glen, you would hope so, but since many people had never even heard of True Watercress, prior to having a pond or knew you could use it in salads, etc, you never can tell what a store may put out there and call it Watercress.

The cress family has many variants, most are edible, some like to grow in water some do not.
"Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Cress information.

o

Is it safe to eat plants grown in the pond or bog?

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 22:11

I think its probably not coons because when I made a floating island, they tore it to pieces the 2nd night. You would know if your pond was covered in styrofoam 'snow'. Min

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here