Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maetrand

bio filter

Freda
11 years ago

I want to build a bio filter but don't know where to buy the Egg Crating. Can't find anything and was wondering if there is anything that I can substitute for the egg crating.

Comments (10)

• diggery
    11 years ago

You can find the 'egg crating' in the big box stores in the lighting section.

blessings,
    ~discerning

• aladatrot
    11 years ago

If you are talking about the plastic grill that supports your filter media, they keep it in the ceiling tile section closer to the lumber in my Lowes. I had three employees looking all over the lighting and electrical departments for them. A manager finally showed us where they were next to the ceiling tiles on the other end of the store.

If you are having trouble finding them, try that aisle.

Cheers
    M

• Freda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I did a search online in the ceiling section for one of our hardware stores and found it there. A bit pricey tho at 33.99 for a 2' x 4' panel. Going to check at the other hardware stores in town for a better price. Now I know what and where to look for it.

• aladatrot
    11 years ago

I remember mine being a little pricey, but not more than $20 at Lowes a few weeks back. Matter of fact, it may have been like $18.99. The closet flange was what was really pricey, and it looks like we aren't even going to utilize it. I guess I can take it back and get a refund or use the difference to purchase another plant.

Cheers
    M

• nina_gretta
    11 years ago

I just made my filter last week and found it for under $13 at home depot.

• diggery
    11 years ago

$33.99 for a 2X4 panel? Shew! You are shopping in the wrong place! Don't recall what I paid for the grate (been a while) but it wss definitely NOT 'pricey'. Keep looking..

blessins,
    ~digger

• mckool
    11 years ago

found the grid in the ceiling tile section - it was about $13.99 ( I think)- that $33 is way out - think about it, whatever doesn't rust and will hold down the filter material is the answer - build a frame out of 1/2" pvc pipe and cover with a screen type material, etc as a thought. Perhaps colorado cloth- our Lowe's has it here in Atlanta area. Go to the box store and walk the asiles - in that way I found roof flashing I can use in one of my project, even saw where plastic rain gutters could be used, will most likely use some rain water drainage pipe and fittings in the waterwheel project -

• Freda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I made a trip to a building supply place and they had the egg crate for 16.99. Much better price than before.

• diggery
    11 years ago

Yay! The price difference will pay for an extra couple plants (or several:) Glad you found a better deal in any event..

blessings,
    ~digger

• granyhuskr
    11 years ago

Egg crating can be found at any lumber yard in the florescent lighting section. Mine ran about $12 each. I have egg crating both on the bottom of the tank (be sure to reinforce it with PVC pipe) and also on the top to keep the media filter under the water. I also found my Skippy works best when I add a layer of quilt batting on top the bottom crate.