Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pikecoe

I'll show you mine..If you will show yours

pikecoe
16 years ago

{{gwi:213178}}

This is a picture taken of my pond with a net. I don't like it but I love my fish, but so does the HERON. If you remember last year on my old pond I had post with cans on the top to keep the post from punching holes in the net, boy was that unsightly, but it worked. Now I really don't notice it from a distance. Show us pictures of how you have done yours, so maybe others can get ideas. Glenda

Comments (150)

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

Joey,

Your lily ponds are great. The big one will be fantastic when the lilies get growing and the small one is adorable.

Anne

• always_outside
    15 years ago

Here are some pics of mine from a few weeks ago...Almost everything has doubled since these pics were taken!

{{gwi:213287}}

{{gwi:213290}}

{{gwi:178829}}

{{gwi:178830}}

• zoenipp
    15 years ago

I'm trying to post pic's for the first time (it never works for me) and I'm following the directions I've read on this forum but it doesn't seem to be working. I set up a Photobucket account and am trying to imbed the pic's in the message box, cutting and pasting the Photobucket html codes but they won't cut and paste. I'm using an Apple laptop; my browser is Safari. Can anyone help me?

• nkm56
    15 years ago

Always Outside;
    What are the fern-looking plants in your stream? Those are gorgeous!

• always_outside
    15 years ago

Hi Nancym1956,
    I'm not quite sure, but I think it's water celery. My mom visited Kentucky last year and brought me a few twigs of it. She found it growing at the edge of a natural creek bed. It grows rampantly! I rip out a bunch of it every few months. Otherwise, it would devour the entire pond. I really like the stuff! Thanks for the kind words! Loretta

• prairie_bogger
    15 years ago

Zoenipp,
    I don't have an Apple or use Photo Bucket, so hopefully someone with both of those things will be able to help you out. However, I did just copy and paste the code for this photo using Safari for Windows and Picasa Web Albums. I realized there's quite a bit of difference between the 2 versions of Safari, but you might try Picasa and see if you have any better luck?

When you're pasting, does the code show up? Or do you see the pasted code, but then no photo?

Hope to see your pond soon. :-)

Sherry

{{gwi:213294}}

• glad2garden
    15 years ago

This is my pond. My hubby liked to sit close by and watch the fish. He used to feed them too much. He passed away last month, cancer.

{{gwi:213305}}

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

Glad,

I'm sorry about your husband. It must have been so comforting to him to have the pond.

Anne

• always_outside
    15 years ago

Glad2Garden: I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :(

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zoenipp, email me please. I erased your email by mistake. Glenda

Glad2garden, So sorry to hear about your husband. I can relate somewhat as have had lots of cancer in my family. Glad he could enjoy the pond, bet the fishes miss him and his overfeeding. After my mother-in-law passed away I got some of her Amarilla plants back that I had given her. The next Thanksgiving I had one bloom outside and it was like she was saying "Here I am" because it was not the normal time for them to bloom And the same thing with another plant our daughter-in-law had from her mothers funeral, a gardenia, it bloomed outside at Christmastime. I told her it was her mothers way of letting her know she was ok. And she was comforted by it. So watch for them and I'm sure you will see some of the same signs. Glenda

• nkm56
    15 years ago

I, too, am sorry about the loss of your husband. I know of a ponding woman who lost her husband. He had dug the pond himself, and loved to hunt for little critters to sit beside it, like ceramic turtles or frogs. She loves that pond in part because her husband enjoyed it so much.

• glad2garden
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind expressions. Being near the pond has been a real comfort. I like your name "always_outside". Good one! Wish I had thought of it! Cause that's where I always am. Here's another pic of the pond.

{{gwi:213307}}

• always_outside
    15 years ago

Geee....thanks, GLAD2GARDEN! :)

• tmyers
    15 years ago

Well here is the new pond with the plants finally growing. I am going shopping today for more plants. I need to get more going before this heat we have had the last few days gets the algae going! I am going to try my hand at making some floating containers out of the foam pool noodles. I am going to try to cover them with landscape fabric so they are not so visible.
    Keep the photos coming these are great. Gives me ideas how to spend more money!!! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:213127}}

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's very nice. You did a good job. Tell us about the new plants you get. And then we'll need more pictures, of course. Glenda

• weave1022
    15 years ago

Newbie here. Here is our pond. I drool at all your greenery!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14399469@N00/2616183847/

Here is a link that might be useful: Flicker

• kyponder
    15 years ago

zoenipp, i have an apple laptop with safari browser...i'll try to help with posting pics in your message. Here's what I do. I open my photobucket account in another tab (file, new tab) find the pic I want and simply click once on the html code under the pic (it pops up a box that says "copied"...it knows what you want..lol), then go back & open the tab where my garden web message is, click in my message box where i want the pic and then click edit & paste (or apple/v). I hope this helps. I've had my apple for about a year now...takes some getting used to..but I love mine. Good luck.
    Amy

• claferg zone 9a Fl
    15 years ago

Here's mine

{{gwi:175851}}

• violet4491
    15 years ago

It was such a pleasure to see all the beautiful ponds with lush foliage and decorating idea's. glad2garden I was sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. I know he loved the pond, it is beautiful.I will try to show you my little back yard pond. I just took out all my rocks and redid the edges with flag stone. I have added some more of the stone after this picture was taken. I gave away 14 goldies and I hooked up a filter for the side of my pond using quilt batting and ac charcoal. It has worked beautiful and my pond is so clear. It was only yesterday I made the filter. I used a large kitchen waste can with holes on one side and a line running from a 325 gph from the pond up to the can. The rock in the for ground is hypertufa,(first attempt) hollow and covers my electric boxes on a 2x4. It is flat on top to hold my flower planter.This was a joint effort of my hubby and myself. We dug it with a shovel and I hooked up everything using the aquascape kit. Not bad for us ol'folks. 11'x8' with a slant bottom 29" deep. A large plant shelf 10" down and 12" wide. I checked my chemisty yesterday and it was perfect except it has a ph of 8.2. It has been stable at that ph so I guess it is ok. Fish spawned last fall and I had 17 baby goldies, I have 3 koi, 11 goldie's ater sharing with friend and sister.I finished it last July "07". I enjoy working on it and it will change each day. I have a problem with my wh and other plants. I am trying to find tomato spikes, fertilome liguid iron,and potash to see if that will help. I put wh in a bucket today with miracle grow. I think that will help till I get everything I need. Do any of you have a better formula for getting my plants to grow. They were terrible last year too.

• violet4491
    15 years ago

Sorry about the picture. I am new at posting and can't figure it out. I will try again later.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Your ponds are all so beautiful and inspiring. I can't wait to get mine finished.

• derrickm
    15 years ago

Here are a few pics of mine. First full summer for it. Nothing fancy, and I need to work on hiding the liner better! LOL...but anyway. It is built on a natural hill and is 2 tiered.

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z106/route3drummer/IMG_0143.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z106/route3drummer/IMG_0156.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z106/route3drummer/IMG_0164.jpg[/IMG]

• derrickm
    15 years ago

Well...RATS! Never had trouble posting anywhere before! LOL

• violet4491
    15 years ago

[IMG].jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenweb

• prairie_bogger
    15 years ago

Here it is Violet!
    Nice pond-- love the little ladybug rock. :-)
    {{gwi:213309}}

• derrickm
    15 years ago

Duh...using the wrong link....

{{gwi:213312}}

{{gwi:213314}}

{{gwi:213316}}

• kweenofkings
    15 years ago

{{gwi:209954}}
    {{gwi:209953}}

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Well, I might as well hop on the train. Here is my pond that I just finished building. I'm a Masters student in biology and my pond is home to native turtle species (for which I am permitted, of course) - yellow mud turtle, ornate box turtle, and Blanding's turtles. Not sure how many gallons, but the deep end is about 3.5' deep with 2' of mud to create a hibernacula for the turtles so they can spend the winter outside. I have water lilies directly planted into the dirt as well as anacharis and potamogeton. Hornwort floats around and arrowhead and sweet flag are on the sides. I'll add some more when the plants are established...

{{gwi:213319}}

{{gwi:213321}}

• weave1022
    15 years ago

.............Its a process...........hahahahah

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond 08

• violet4491
    15 years ago

Thank you prairie bogger for the reply. I added the lily tabs and some fertiloam iron.The plants are starting to get greener and I have high hopes of seeing red blooms. I would like to have beautiful flowers like what i am seeing here (so pretty)

• delaney276
    15 years ago

Nice Ponds Everyone!

• akidleativy2
    15 years ago

Project completed! happy fish, happy me!

{{gwi:213323}}

Here is a link that might be useful:

• akidleativy2
    15 years ago

Another view. It was hard work, but I LOVE it!

{{gwi:213324}}

• akidleativy2
    15 years ago

I just put in the lighting today. I find myself spending literally hours each day walking past my pond and smiling. It's my sanctuary from a busy day. So lastnight I built a daybed/couch for the deck. With the super-hot nights we've been having lately, I can now sleep under the stars, lulled to sleep by the soothing sounds of the waterfall. What could be better?!

{{gwi:213326}}

• mrubinsnewpond
    15 years ago

ok my turn:
    {{gwi:213327}}

{{gwi:179558}}

{{gwi:213327}}

• mrubinsnewpond
    15 years ago

oops heres the other i meant to send
    {{gwi:213328}}

• Ann_in_Houston
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful ponds, everyone. Autumn, I am crazy for hostas, probably because it's too hot, here. But a pond with hostas, I can only imagine the delight.

• silversword
    15 years ago

bump

• summergardener
    15 years ago

Thanks for bumping this silversword. I needed to see this on this cold icey/snowy winter day her in SW PA. It reminds me there is hope of spring returning and beautiful ponds gurgling once again:)

• bwalters
    15 years ago

Our winters are thankfully not as harsh as in some other locations in the country, even though for us it's a little cold now (30'ish).

Water temp is in the 50s; these were all taken in the last month or so.

{{gwi:213329}}
    {{gwi:213330}}
    {{gwi:213331}}
    {{gwi:213332}}
    {{gwi:213333}}
    {{gwi:213334}}
    {{gwi:213335}}

• silversword
    15 years ago

Beautiful Fish!!!!

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Oh yes, nice pix! I'm glad it's been bumped too!

• summergardener
    15 years ago

I know I have a pond under there somewhere. Below 0 temp.s and the most snow we've seen in years. Can't wait till spring!!!
    IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/zeigfam/ColdDaysJan15-162009014.jpg[/IMG]
    You can see the vent hole here.
    [IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/zeigfam/SnowJan282009001.jpg[/IMG]
    Warmer times
    [IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/zeigfam/July312006pond001.jpg[/IMG]

• summergardener
    15 years ago

Trying again. Weird, earlier today, it wouldn't let me repost.
    Sorry, it's been awhile since I posted pic.s, and I messed up on the other one.

I know I have a pond under there somewhere. Below 0 temp.s and the most snow we've seen in years. Can't wait till spring!!! You can barely tell where the vent hole was.
    {{gwi:213336}}
    You can see the vent hole here. We put the stock tank heater in to get a vent hole.
    {{gwi:213337}}
    Warmer times. Hard to believe that this is under all of that snow. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!...and more snow is to be coming.
    {{gwi:187468}}

• nkm56
    14 years ago

Brr, those winter pics look cold!

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

WOW you guys sure have been pond busy! I am just getting started in learning about ponds. Do not have one yet. We are moving soon and I hope to set one up in my new home.

Thanks for sharing all your photos, they were an inspriation!

• Liz Margoshes
    14 years ago

V mcKague I am SO envious of your waterfall. I've been struggling with mine for years. I also have a biofalls thing. Can you see the black "Lip" where the falls come down or did you camouflage it? (hard to see in the picture). Also how far into the pond (above it) is your falls? I find if my fall "lip" is not really OVER the pond water, invariably some water leaks backwards through the rocks. Therefore I now have a sort of "diving board" idea which doesn't look so nice.

Any tips about how you did your rocks would be so helpful (with the "steps", I mean). Did you attach your rocks with anything like cement or foam, or is that waterfall "au natural"?

And why did you put 20 lbs of lava rock inside your falls?

I have some "biofoam" stuff I bought to filter the water.

BEAUTIFUL job you did there! (love everyone's!)

Liz

• solsort1_dk
    14 years ago

Bump.

Because all these gorgeous pictures are eye-candy for a newbie like me :-D

Take care,
    Hanne in Denmark

• nkm56
    14 years ago

Beautiful ponds, everyone, but I'm sorry to see that some of the pictures on this thread have vanished.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!