Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant recomendation?

Posted by dirtybug Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 21:35

I'm hoping someone can recomend a marginal plant for me. I'm looking for something that will overwinter in zone 6, Will be placed in 8-10" of water and grow no taller than 10" above water.
Any such plant?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant recomendation?

Chameleon plant, water bacopa, and verigated water celery are hardy low growers, but the last two can be invasive if not kept in check. They spread fast with runners that will root in anything. If you can go a little taller, up to 18", dwarf cattail or corkscrew rush are good choices.

o

• Posted by jalal z3/Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 11:39

Dwarf sweet flag. I have the varigated stuff. Love the lime green color. Planted bareroot in gravel along edge. Is supposed to be a good filtration plant as well. Hardy to Zone 3 so can overwinter in the pond.

o

I love marsh marigold. I'm not sure it fits ALL of your requirements, but I have the top of my pot a few inches below the water level and the leaves sit about a foot above, maybe a little more. It over winters fine, is the first flower in my garden, SWALLOWS excess nutrients whole, has eliminated any spring algae bloom and provides great cover for the frogs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here