Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_in_ct

Look what I found in my pond!

chris_in_ct
12 years ago

It's the rare two-footed-eight-year-old!

-Chris

{{gwi:213969}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My pond album

Comments (10)

• mammasue
    12 years ago

We have one of those around here occasionally. So far I haven't found it in the pond.

• clarabelle63
    12 years ago

Also known as the "Little Mermaid"? : ) Gotta love 'em!

Carla

• erniem
    12 years ago

I bet you fed it. You can't get rid of those once you feed them and then you have to pay for college.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

A Mermaid!!! Is it a spitter?lol! Great album too, thanks for sharing!

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

How adorable. :)

• catherinet
    12 years ago

I don't want to be a downer......but in the past, we've had lots of discussions about how unhealthy a pond is to humans. There are potentially so many kinds of bacteria in there.
    Hopefully, she doesn't do this often (or ever again).
    But.....she is very cute!

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

People swam in farm ponds for many moons..

• hardin
    12 years ago

Well, that Little Mermaid isn't the only one that likes to get into the pond. She looks to be having a little more fun. I get into mine about once a week for maintenance on my waterlily, trimming leaves and such. Very cute.

• chris_in_ct
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't want to be a downer...(but I will be).

:-)

• chris_in_ct
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, Catherine, I was going to let it go, but I just can't. It bothers me that someone thinks I would put my own children at risk.

I happen to be a medical doctor (a surgeon) and a PhD. I have also studied and worked in the public health sector and have published university level research in public health and epidemiology. While I don't consider myself an expert in ponding - hence my time trolling this board - I do consider myself an expert in health and wellness. It's what I do every day, and have done every day, for the last 28 years of my life. Over that time I have been presented with, diagnosed and treated pretty much every human disease there is to see, first hand. I also know how serious even minor conditions can become if left untreated or ignored. I am risk-cognizant myself and will teach that same concept to my children when they are older.

For my children now, though, I am very risk-adverse. I would never risk the health and well-being of my children, under any conditions. And your suggestion that I have done so is quite irritating to me and, in my opinion, erroneous. Quite frankly, it is simply ludicrous to suggest that there is a potential health implication from being in a backyard pond, particularly one with ample water flow, aeration and plenty of sunlight. I would venture to guess that there is a greater risk of slipping, falling and hitting your head on a rock in your pond then there is in wading in it.

That being said, if you feel that there is risk in *your* children being in a pond then, by all means, keep them out. But, don't begin to tell me what to do with *my* children when I am fairly confident I understand the potential risks better than you.

Regards,
    -Chris