Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmchi

Swimming pool to pond

hmchi
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

We just bought a house with a swimming pool in the backyard. We do not like swimming and want to get away from taking care of the pool so we thought we could perhaps turn that into a pond until we sell the house in 5 to 10 years. We are in California so the pool does not freeze. The deep end of the pool is like 8 ft deep.

Do you all have any suggestions as to how to go about it ? Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• nkm56
    13 years ago

Been done many times. Found this conversion online (link below), and he did a fantastic job. He added soil, shoring it up with sandbags into the shape he wanted, then added the liner. I'm assuming, by the way he did it, that if the next owners of the house want the pool rather than the pond, the dirt and sandbags can be removed and the pool cleaned.

Here's another link: http://www.happykoi.co.za/how_to_build_a_koi_pond/swimming_pool_to_koi_pond.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: pool to pond

• nkm56
    13 years ago

After reading the site, I see that the pool was actually plastic or fiberglass, and he cut through the bottom.

I'm sure there are more conversion sites online that you could google to get some ideas on how you want to do it.

• hmchi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for your help so far. To be perfectly honest, I am not a big fan about doing a lot of conversion work. I am basically thinking how can I get away from a green pool with mosquitos .. I thought if there are fishes in it, the mosquito lavies would be eaten away .. I am really not looking for putting sand or bags at the bottom etc. If that has to be, I might as well keep the pool as a swimming pool.

Is there a lazy man's solution, such as finding some fish or frogs to put in or some vegetation ?

Thanks. I hope I am not offending anyone ..

• nkm56
    13 years ago

No offense taken, I just didn't have a full grasp of what you're wanting.

If you're not planning to use the pool, I would simply drain it and get a secure cover to put over it to avoid accidents.

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    Obviously , there are many ways it can be done . Mostly depends on what you want. Would help to know what the pool is made of ,assuming in ground?? What kind of filtration.? What shape??
    The average swimming pool would make a fantastic Koi pond but not so good water garden.
    Even for a Koi pond with no plants would still require some modification of the filter system. I would fear the result would look like a dirty swimming pool with fish in it?? lol Particularly if it's the usual rectangle with exit ladders with cement aprons.
    My neighbor converted their inground pool to a koi pond
    but the pool was only 8x12 feet with a 6 foot depth actually it already was a Koi pond lol gary

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

I would love to see my BF's pool changed into a koi pond!!! However, he doesn't agree at all. I don't know what the mechanics would be of changing over but I do think the fish would love such a large pond.
    Anne

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

WOW! That website is sooo inspiring! When my cyprio filter goes, I am def gonna build a similar filter system...no clean 5+ years...sounds REAL GOOD!!!

• hmchi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Garyfla, Thanks for your help. Yes it is in ground and sort of kidney shape, 30ft by 15ft at the extremes, and 8 ft at the deep end.

Can a koi pond go without any filtering or electrical/mechanical meddling ? Most of the koi ponds we grew up with are much smaller and shallower --- and natural without any one working it at all. I am so hoping that it will work .. I would like to try to put in a few koi from the pet shop and try .. good idea ?

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    i suspect without the proper filter you're going to end up with a bright green soup lol. Most swimming pool filters are too fine and will quickly stop up. Are the skimmers working??
    Certainly large enough for Koi but they get almost 3 feet long probably very quickly in that much water lol
    Goldfish would probably be a better choice with no filtration. Be sure to check the water parameters.
    Good luck and tell us how it works gary

• catherinet
    13 years ago

"Admink" (I think that's her username) did just that. Hopefully she will see your post.

• catherinet
    13 years ago

I wish this place had an "edit" function.
    It's "Ademink". Do a search for "Andrea" and you will see some of her posts. They may not be about her pool to pond issue, but you could send her an email by clicking on her name.

• ademink
    12 years ago

It's a year later...and I just saw this. LOL