Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosambos

Froggie Love Aftermath

nosambos
16 years ago

I was sitting by the pond around 10:00 when I heard some very human sounding boudoir groans. I was startled to say the least. My first thought was something is going on in my bushes ?!!? I then realized the sound was coming from the pond. I found several groups like {{gwi:214701}} This group is female, male, male, male. The male release call was the sound I heard. After an hour or so it looked to me like they were going to drown the female so I netted the group. I had a heck of a time prying them apart. The male grasping the female grabbed onto my thumb and I had to exert a lot of force to get him off. I put the female in the other end of the pond to give her a rest. Do you know after five minutes she went right back !

I am taking portraits of the frogs so that I can recognize them from year to year. Here are a few......

{{gwi:214703}}

{{gwi:214704}}

{{gwi:214705}}

{{gwi:214706}}

{{gwi:214707}}

Comments (9)

• mjoancam
    16 years ago

this is very interestin!!!

i have a green frog as well, unfortunately a lovesick male who bellows all the time. last year there was a female around but not this year. I figure all that rough play discouraged her and she left.

my pond is in the middle of nowhere and there is no chance of a female coming in. i wish u had extra females and not males - i would ask for a couple.

i believe that this is the green frog which is common in british columbia but here in burlington ontario it is much more unusual.

if u can think of a way of acquiring females, please let me know.

i thought i should feel sorry for ur female until u mentioned she returned posthaste.

joan

• mybusyfamily6
    16 years ago

Ok I had to chuckle... I just pictured froggy male latching onto your thumb..

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Be grateful you don't have the introduced marine toad.
    They spawn so frequently and in such volume it will cause the whole pond to pollute. I have netted out as much as two gallons in one night!! If I don't net it out there are soooo many tadpoles they will cause the system to crash resulting in a smelly mess.
    I suspect they will completely decimate the native frog populations but what to do ??? gary

• sockmonkeyz6
    16 years ago

I AM SO JEALOUS! All my frogs have gone yonder somewhere.
    Debbie

• yng_grdnr
    16 years ago

I don't have any frogs, but as an amateur photographer those pictures are great! May i ask what type of camera you have?

• nosambos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Olympus 510-UZ with 10x optical zoom. Great price. You can find it on line for about $250 including postage (Beach Camera on amazon). However you need to spend another $30 for a memory chip. It also takes short movies with sound. My only complaint is that the software is not very user friendly. I prefer to download the pics then use a shareware program called Irfanview.

• comettose
    16 years ago

Too funny - better keep that thumb to yourself! The frog conga line is hilarious. She's a looker though - can you blame them?

• koiaddict
    16 years ago

I have the same sort of activity going on in my pond, but with toads. There are times that you can't even sit out back that their croaking gets so loud, it's almost ear-piercing....even my dogs refuse to go out back when they're in the "love" mode. It's more of a shrill than a croak and they just go back and forth. Then I look in the ponod and like in your picture, there are 2 or 3 toads on top of a female toad, almost drowning her. Some of the "pairs" are in the water, while others are just sitting on the rocks. Come the next morning, there are tons of frog eggs stuck in my plants. The koi love it! I have also seen tons of baby toads scampering everywhere -- they're so cute. I hate to walk by the pond though because they're everywhere and I'm afraid I'll crush them. This "activity" seems to take place every couple of weeks and I'm just wondering for how long. It does make the pond have a nasty smell for a couple of days, but I do water changes and it seems to take care of that. I love my frogs no matter how much noise they make -- it's froggy love.............

Cindy
    Jax, FL

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Garyfla, you would be doing the ecosystem a huge favor if you euthanized every marine toad you can. They are not native and are eating native frogs to extinction. Whatever idiot introduced them around the world where they don't belong (Florida, Hawaii, the Caribbean, Australia) should be shot! They are also known as Cane Toads.

Nosambos, I agree the Olympus software is NOT user friendly. It sucks. I have the 750 UZ. You don't need to rescue Mrs. Froggie, what went on in your pond is perfectly natural. :)