Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maetrand

never thought I would be posting

Freda
11 years ago

that something took my big( probably 10 inches long) comet goldfish. We have figured that it was probably an Hawk. I am sooooo sad. I had it for quite a few years and it was beautiful.

Comments (10)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Sadness! I just lost all my babies too!! I'm going to build a wire mesh screen over my pond!!! Grrr

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

Maet.. so sorry. It is shocking and heartbreaking to lose a fish in that way and Calamity you lost all of them, plus your pond too!

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

My daughter wentout in the yard about a week ago there wasa big hawk at my pond.He flew away,weve also had herons clean me out 2 times ,no third..

• diggery
    11 years ago

So sorry...heartbreaking, I know.
    Wish I didn't know.

blessings,
    ~digger

• mpagri
    11 years ago

We have a blue heron with very expensive taste, it always cleans out my koi but leaves the goldfish. This year I strung fishing line in cris-cross across the pond. I also have tons more floating plants than I usually do. I have seen the bird once, but no fish lost yet - fingers crossed.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Sorry to hear that. I had a similar problem when I first started my pool in 81 so I switched to tropical fish
    The birds still ate them but they bred faster lol In 09
    a record cold winter and the breakdown of the heating system resulted in an entire wipeout . Replaced with feeder GF which jumped from 13 to 102. I did some repairs to the pool this year and so far(knock on wood!!) have not lost any. Seems to be the MAJOR problem with keeping pools no matter where you live . Hope you find something that works for you!!! gary

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom, sorry to hear that, I have a Koi that's been with us 12 years. I've strung fishing line over the pond above head height. I was able to connect it to the crossbar on the swing and to the posts on the yard fence - so far, so good. They're high enough I can walk under them-no 6 footers. Not sure how close together the lines should be run, but mine are about 2-3' apart, so??

• Freda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do to protect the rest of the fish. I have 3 more in my small pond and I put plywood across the ends of the pond to provide a place for them to hide until the pond lilies and plants grow bigger.

• joraines
    11 years ago

Our 'new' pond (we dug it last year and have been working to complete it this spring) is 175 feet long with a large circle above the dam and trickles into the creek at the lower end. It will be virtually impossible to string enough fishing line or cover it in any way other than plant cover. I have two little comets in the circle and check on them every day. They seem to be instinctually good at hiding underneath the waterlilies and other plants so far but we live on a farm with herons, hawks, owls, raccoon, possums, plenty of snakes, etc. And I am so soft-hearted. I'm sure I will be devastated when we lose fish.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Maet,
    I had a similar problem for my new, young fish to hide until my plants got bigger. I put two 12 inch plastic pots on their sides at the bottom of the pond. I placed a rock in each and carefully lowered the pot down so that I could position it on its side. It's working great.