Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craigger7

Koi Growth and Color change

Craigger7
11 years ago

Hi guys

If you don't know, I love big koi. Last year was the first year for my pond. I have a 2000 gallon well filtrated pond. Last year I picked 7 koi from local pet stores, actually I got lucky, finding healthy colorful koi. I didnt know much about koi then and only feed them protein food in the summer, and winter staple food in the colder months. My koi really didnt grow much, so I researched it over the winter months. I started changing my koi diet this spring with the research I found. I started feeding my koi a balance of 3 different dry pellet foods. Cold weather pellets have wheat germ and multi-vitamins that koi easily digest. I also mix Silkworm pellets and a High protein color enchancing mix. I started with 2/3 wheat germ and changed the mix and the weather warmed. Also once a week I'll give the koi some kind of treat, (oranges, watermellon, swiss chard etc). My koi have doubled in size this year, YAY. What I cant figure out is this. Will koi constantly change color as they grow? My koi seem healthy and not stressed Even a 10 inch koi I purchased a month ago has changed a little. Bronzes have turned to Grew, Red Patches to White. Another question, I had a fish I was fighting to save, he had a minor case of Dropsy. Since he grew, he looked allot healther now. TY

Comments (4)