Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulie___wayne

Bothersome Frogs Near/In Pond

lulie___wayne
12 years ago

My husband and I have a beautiful pond and garden right outside our bedroom which we enjoy tremendously, although, the frogs do also. They are quite loud at night when we are trying to sleep. We welcome any advice regarding a remedy to this problem.

Comments (15)

• mucky_waters
    12 years ago

{{gwi:215894}}

• terrestrial_man
    12 years ago

Know anyone who keeps water snakes? Or garter snakes?
    You could collect the frogs and give them for live food for the snakes. Also raccoons will eat the frogs and destroy your pond and garden. One time I caught my dobie eating a frog or should I say just grabbing it and swallowing it whole!!! Yuck!!! Definitely not candy!
    Sorry HP fans!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Frog anyone?

• catherinet
    12 years ago

No offense, but if you're going to build the perfect frog habitat, you shouldn't be surprised that frogs are attracted to it. I'd say 99.9% of the folks here do all they can to bring the frogs to their ponds.
    I'd say learn to enjoy it, or get rid of your pond.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

If you build it, they will come. There is no way to keep them out.

After the first year you should get used to and then enjoy their sound.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Most pond people try to get them to their pond. I brought a few to mine and they left so I don't try anymore. I'd love to have them in my pond.

• nkm56
    12 years ago

The only way to muffle the noise is to close the windows and turn on the a/c and some fans. I'm not kidding. The tree frogs especially are startlingly loud for just little guys! ;-)

• hardin
    12 years ago

I love the sound of the frogs and love to open the windows and go to sleep to their 'singing'. I do everything I can to help them want to stay with hiding places, and not spraying any harmful chemicals. I actually have less pesty bugs and problems caused by them because of the frogs and toads. They are all in trouble to some extent, so I do what I can. People have even brought me gray tree frogs that were in the building where I work, because they were afraid they would die in the building. They are still here and that was 2 years ago.

• nkm56
    12 years ago

I had a little tree frog hitchhike to work with me one morning about four years ago. He was at the base of my windshield, and the coloration of a brown leaf, so I didn't realize what he was until I was sitting at a light and he moved! After that, I kept an eye on him and hoped he would hang on until I got to the office. There's a stream and plenty of trees near the office, so I released them there.

• chas045
    12 years ago

I don't hear them with the double pane windows closed. In spring and fall when the windows are open and the fans are going, it sounds like rain in a jungle rain forest and lulls us to sleep.

• hardin
    12 years ago

@Nancy1956: That sounds like something I would do. LOL!

• auntydarla
    12 years ago

Well if you have ponds with bullfrogs near you.. just catch one and bring it home.. they cleared out all my little frogs.. Well I assume they did cause we used to have them everywhere and now I never hear them.

• nkm56
    12 years ago

Auntydarla, bullfrogs will eat anything that will fit in their mouths, so they probably did clear out the little ones.

• diggery
    12 years ago

They'll clear out your fish too....as well as any unsuspecting birds that bathe too close!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

And in areas where they aren't native they clear out native frogs and turtles too.

Here in Oregon they are contributing to the decline of Western Pond Turtles who were already in trouble because of released pet Red Ear Sliders.

In Hawaii they eat native birds.

They've been released around the world as have Cane Toads. Not a good thing.

• leubafr
    12 years ago

I had the neighborhood children do a frog roundup and we relocated quite a few to other appropriate places. Did this several times and it did bring down the population. All in all, I think we relocated 150 green ree frogs. Still have a few but they are not as loud as 150.