Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rexanne_gw

for those of you who love frogs

RexAnne
12 years ago

he has turned into my pond buddy, kind of pushy for the worms though.

{{gwi:215996}}

Comments (13)

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Rexanne,

OMG That is just too funny. Looks like you have a true friend!
    Anne

• chubbypoptart
    12 years ago

Im jealous! I cant even get a picture of the frogs in my pond they see me coming and jump into the water:(

• frogman4_gw
    12 years ago

Great picture, can't tell if your friend is a Green frog or Bullfrog, male or female from that view. Do you know?

I raise European night crawlers and wax worms to feed my dozen Bullfrogs. Although none are that tame as of yet, I'm working on it.

• RexAnne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Frogman!
    What can you tell me about my frog? :) I thought it was a he because he sings.
    {{gwi:215998}}

• serenae
    12 years ago

Aww I love him! I'm in the process of changing over my pond from a fish pond to a wildlife pond for frogs. :)

• frogman4_gw
    12 years ago

Looks like you have a male bullfrog.
    Since the ridge from his eye curls around his Tympanum that distinguishes him from a green frog. Also his Tympanum is much larger than his eye so it is a male. Male bullfrogs during mating season also acquire a rather yellowish throat coloring and do most of the calling letting other males know it's his territory. Females can call also I understand just to create competition between the males. Males will fight other males defending their teritory and maybe for a worm too. How long did it take for you to train him?

• RexAnne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It took about a week to have him eat out of my hand and another to aggressily chase me around the the pond. If I was ignoring him he would give a little croak to let me know to fretch him some worms. Do males travel because I haven't seen him for the last two days and I am missing him terribly. It seems a number of frogs are gone, we had super large one and atleast 5 smaller ones (including this one) this spring and now I can see only two small ones left. :(

• frogman4_gw
    12 years ago

Mostly they travel to other ponds on rainy nights so they don't dry out. Sometimes they make it sometimes they don't before they find the shelter of another pond. I grow wild flowers around some of my ponds so they have a place to hunt crickets and other prey. If you have herons or coons that frequent you pond they will prey on your frogs or fish. I have either nets stretched tight over my ponds with space for them to come out to forage or an electric fence to deter both predators.I sure hope he comes back that's a rare bullfrog to be that friendly.

• RexAnne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes rare and smart. I haven't seem any disturbance in or around the pond so I wouldn't have guessed racoons and it's been so dry lately. :( I'm sad, but I am working on another frog, he's not as smart. I'll post another picture if I am successful.

• rksdad01
    12 years ago

We had a large bullfrog like this that would hang out around the pond during the day but at night I would find him swimming in the pool. I don't know how he could stand the chemicals but he did this for two seasons then he dissapeared.

• chubbypoptart
    12 years ago

well this one isnt tame i moved him from by daughters wading pool over to the pond and stayed in my hand for awhile before he decided to hang out on the lily pads in his new home. i have HUNDREDS of tadpoles in my various water garden plant containers and the pond. so im guessing they are from the same type of frog. or do many different species hangout together in the same area?
    {{gwi:193015}}
    {{gwi:193014}}

• RexAnne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

she's very pretty, someone tells what kind of frog it is..

• frogman4_gw
    12 years ago

I'm certainly no expert but it looks like a leopard frog to me.