Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andypond

Help: Deformed Lily Pads

AndyPond
9 years ago

I built the pond in February and installed 1 bareroot water lily (colorado) with no leaves. I potted the lily (and some marginals) in "topsoil" from home depot with osmocote. The lily put up a new pad every few days until it had about 12 pads with the new replacing the old. It bloomed once a couple weeks ago. The pond gets difuse light during the day and some late afternoon direct sun.

I've since discovered that the topsoil was mostly sand and mulchy organics. I think the organics were rotting and I was afraid it would harm the plants so I repotted all the marginals into clay soils.

However, I left the lily because I didn't want to disturb it and I was hopeful that it might like the organics in the soil.

In the last 2 weeks, I've only gotten 2 new leaves on the lily and they are small and deformed, and a little reddish around the edges (see picture). The other pads are aging and not being replaced by healthy pads.

Does anyone know what's going on here? BTW, earlier today and tonight, I checked the 2 deformed pads and there were no bugs or worms or anything on them. The only fish in the pond are goldfish. There are some sort of common snails in the pond (I didn't put them there) and I've never seen them on the deformed pads. There is 1 new pad on the way up but I suspect it will be small and/or deformed. There is one blossom bud that just appeared on the rhizome. The pond chemistry seems to be good and stable.

Comments (5)