Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

I am oh so done with the rain!

jalal
13 years ago

This is such a miserable spring/summer. We had a terrific thunderstorm and hail earlier this evening--lasted about 20 minutes. Hail was bouncing off my pond. Stopped raining for about an hour and has started again. In between I used my pond sump pump that I use for water changes to pump out alot of water--brought the level down an inch so that the skimmer was skimming. My pond is 18ft long by 8 feet wide so that's alot of water going down the back alley. Will probably have to do it again tomorrow. We are supposed to get over 70mm (over 3") in the next 24 hours. So I'll be checking my pump box regularly as I don't need a repeat performance on flooded pumps. I enjoy my sleep too much to get out there in the dark though especially when it's still raining!

The water is just standing in some fields not great for the farmers. This is farming country I live in. More rain is expected later this week and then the forecast is for two weeks of sunshine. Yahoo!

Comments (4)

• horton
    13 years ago

Patti, sorry to read that you are still being swamped.
    There certainly has been lots of rain and storms out in your area this year and that can become depressing for sure.
    Hang in there, 'cause that's about all you can do about it, unfortunately!
    "Horton"

• squirelette
    13 years ago

OMG enough with the rain already. I had 3" of water on the patio yesterday. Got to wash the dog prints off the floor twice a day. High winds keep knocking over everything that hasn't already been flattened. Even the marshmarigolds are starting to rot. I would have been drier on the coast. Well at least it has been relatively cool and the grass seed is flourishing where it did not drown. Got to hang onto that silver lining by the skin of the teeth no matter how bad it tastes. Take care

• jalal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Squirelette. Good to hear you are not swimming yet! Talked to the town water foreman today -helives across from me. He said we've had 8" of rain in the last week and that many people in Ponoka have flooded basements. Those with sump pumps hooked up to the sewer line are creating havoc with are water treatment plant as overloading the system. The river is dangerously close to flooding. I've pumped about 100 gals out of my pond again today and checked the pump box--was dry thank goodness. Am just going to go pull up part of my dricore flooring in the basement as can hear the water underneath it. I had to shake out the pear tree near my pond today as the branches were bending with all the water.
    It's currently stopped raining. The water guy said we've got enough rain now to last us till the end of summer. I said what summer!
    Hope your hubby is feeling better. I have a job lined up--not what I want to do but it's work. Will be working with autistic youth in a group home. I am oh so done with this kind of work but it's better than having no income and I'll just keep looking for something else.
    Take care. Patti

• squirelette
    13 years ago

Patti- good to hear you got something, knew you would. You gotta do what you can and wait for the good. We are sliding along trying not to hit the hard place but thankfully the hubby is improving. He will likely never work again, trying to get CPP disability, so I am the breadwinner. Gonna have to make some changes hopefully won't lose the house. The pond is doing great this year although I don't get much chance to enjoy it between 2 jobs and dr appts- 15 min @6AM and 1/2 hour at 10:30 PM but take what I can get. Hope you don't flood had a few downpours today but it is supposed to start drying up tomorrow. Take care. Susan

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years