Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do bluegills eat?

Posted by agap015 z5 Lowell, Mich. (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 5:07

Hi ponders

I asked earlier about putting in 1 blugill to keep my goldfish population under control. My problem is after he or she does what is expected of them what do they eat? Do they eat algae like the goldfish? I don't want it to starve to death. I saw a picture of "Marti" and he is quite large 6"-8". If they do eat algae, this could be quite helpful. Afish Marti's size would eat alot of algae? Do they eat snails?

Alot of questions but inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do bluegills eat?

From my days of "barefoot boy with cheek of tan" when I did a lot of fishing bluegills are meat eaters. Toss in a couple of worms, crickets, grubs or equivalent and they'll be quite happy.

o

hang a bug zapper over the pond and they will be thrilled!!

o

My bluegill eats whatever I feed my koi: Cheerios, koi food, watercress, watermelon, canteloupe, oranges. When I go to my daughter and s-i-l's farm we throw them bread. I won't throw bread into my pond though. Whenever I am gardening I toss worms in too.

Jenny

o

Bluegills eat everything but baby bluegills and bluegill eggs. They do not eat algae, but love the fish food. When I throw a grub worm in the pond the bluegill almost always grabs it first. They love earthworms, wigglers, night crawlers, etc. They can eat a baby goldfish that is twice their size. Glenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here