Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craigger7

Koi Tending

Craigger7
11 years ago

My pond has always been a place of calm, however, now as I study for my nursing boards. I come to my pond more than ever. Yesterday I really got a pleasent surprise. As I was sitting on a rock feeding my fish, I seen little koi. My pond was installed last July, I did all the landscaping. If you think there is rock in Pa., all that stone came from my garden. This March in Pennsylvannia we had a warm spell, and my fish spawned for the first time. At the time, there was hardly any plants, I really felt that all the eggs would be eaten. Yesterday I noticed 4 one inch little koi in my pond. I was so excited I called my whole family to see. With the heavy pond growth and rock, some survived this long. This is the first time growing small koi, removing them would be impossible. Currently, some of the little koi are starting to swim with the bigger koi. My bigger koi are from 8-10 inches long. Do you guys think is they survived this long they should be ok? I just really like the thought of having little koi. I'm planning on building another pond in 2 years so I'm not worried about over-population. Thanks guys!!!

Comments (13)

• Craigger7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On the left side of the pond there is plenty of cover.

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

OMG What a fabulous pond. Do you have pictures of the building of this? You must have had some heavy duty equipment to move those rocks or you are from a family of circus strongmen!!

I can see why it is a place of "Vitamin N" (N = Nature) for you. I do notice your fish-watching chair facing the pond.

Good luck on your nursing boards. Having just spent a couple of days in the hospital I can appreciate a patient, caring nurse!!!!

Regarding your question, in my opinion, the baby fish know when it is safe to start swimming with the big boys. In my pond I have noticed that any that have chosen to swim with the larger fish continue to survive even though they look pretty tiny to me.

Anne

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Beautiful pond!!! You have created a Paradise!!! My hubby is a psych nurse...I always like to say we are the perfect couple: I'm crazy and he's a psych nurse!lol! I would like to add a small pond elsewhere in the yard with the focus being on the cast concrete leaves flowing into the pond for birds to land for a drink!I hope you post some more pics of your Eye Candy Pond!!!!

• koijoyii
    11 years ago

Beautiful pond! Congrats new koi grandma! I wish my koi would have eaten the babies and the eggs a few summers ago. I gave away lots of koi fry, but still have "leftovers". The leftovers are now 7-8 inch koi (pics below).

{{gwi:204888}}

{{gwi:204890}}

{{gwi:204892}}

I think I feed my fish too well for them to eat their babies. lol. When I purchased smaller koi for my pond the staff at the store told me the general rule of thumb is if the smallest koi is larger than your biggest koi's mouth you're safe. If that were the case why did I end up with hundreds of koi fry a few years ago? My adult koi are 2 ft long. I think your babies are safe. If they (koi) didn't eat them yet, I don't think they will, but a heron is a different story.

Good Luck and gorgeous pond!

Jenny

• Craigger7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the compliments, Jenny I love your koi. How deep is that pond? Phych nursing is actually one of my favorite fields. I'm torn between phychiatrics and pediatrics. Anne here are some more pics. Today there was a new development at the pond. I must of missed a second spawning. Hidden in the rocks I seen one half inch fish. I'm sure where there is one, there is more.

• Craigger7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

building

• Craigger7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finished product

• Craigger7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pond Critters

• Craigger7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the help, and thank you for allowing me to show off my pond.

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

Aw, gosh, I was hoping to see some strongmen in tarzan outfits moving those rocks. hahaha Thanks for the pictures. I am so impressed with how artistically you have placed all the rocks. Maybe they are just dumped there, but the dumping is artistic too :-). I love to watch the birds bathe in the stream too.

• Craigger7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats one of my favorite things to watch. I'm sure its the same robin, he's there everyday in the evening. The one day I had to shut down the falls. He flew of at his time, sat on a rock and yelled at me.
    I've been attempting to feed my fry. I tried grinding up small pellets to dust. The larger fish just vacuum it up. I figure the can't get it all. As I was sitting watching the fry. I noticed a few smaller fry hidding in the rocks. I know certain fry will feed on there own and grow faster. I really think that with the number I have of 1 inch fry. That the little ones my be from a second spawn that I missed. Too bad they didnt make a fry trap for ponds.

• Craigger7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found something that gave me an idea, check out this link

http://youtu.be/71L6pz_nfuU

• koijoyii
    11 years ago

My pond is 4 1/2 ft deep. I just love the pics of your pond install. It looks so natural. The fry will feed on any algae you may have in the pond as well as hide in it if it's long enough. From your picks it looks like you have lots of rock crevices and hiding places to protect all sizes of fry. I don't have any rock crevices but the fry managed to hide in the algae covering the liner and survived.

Jenny