Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Whiteheads? Do my koi have teen acne? Carp pox? What now? LOL

ademink
14 years ago

A few of my koi have bumps on their fins - maybe a couple have them on their body....so hard to see as they zoom by at 50mph. (Some of them lose scales here and there that look like white bumps but are actually just a "dead" zone on their color pattern).

Anyway, the ones on the fins are definitely there. They look like a whitehead or something...I don't see any red...just a white bump about the size of a BB...maybe a little bigger.

The spots don't look like salt - as ich is described. I also don't see a worm coming out of any of the bumps like anchor worm. Doesn't look like fish lice from what I can see either - no greenish cast, etc.

I am stumped...? Could this be carp pox? Some folks say it is common, others say it isn't.

They are wildly active, as usual, and all are eating fine....like little pigs, really. :)

I have been watching for flashing but haven't seen any. I have had two koi jump up in the water and splash down in the last few days when I was outside. I have read that isn't "normal" but I would have to disagree. I have seen occurences of it in my pond in the last 5 years when there were no issues. One of the monsters that splashed has no signs of these "pimples".

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Andrea

Comments (7)

• ademink
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is one photo, and a link to my Photobucket Gallery. I'm using photobucket so you can resize the images to full size to see detail.

{{gwi:217445}}

Photobucket album:

• ademink
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it appears that I'm having a conversation with myself but I seem to be resolving my issues so I guess it's working for me. :D

It appears that I have anchor worm. Well, not me...but my koi. I just saw a threadlike thing coming out of one of the bumps on the koi.

I just ordered 4 quarts of Proform LA (ouch) and hope that the koi will be ok until Wednesday when it arrives.

• daniellalell
    14 years ago

eek! I was going to ask if the bumps looked fuzzy thinking maybe a fungal infection. But I guess you have it under control.
    I hope the Proform LA works for you. I dont know about it, but judging by your '(ouch)' I'd say its expensive.

btw, my Koi jumps too..man can they jump! And nothing is wrong with him. When I first got mine I had read in many dif places that Koi are known jumpers, so I never thought twice about it. I love it when I am right at the pond when he jumps.

You will be treating the whole pond correct? I dont agree with just treating the sick fish in a hosp tank, or whatever. Better to treat the whole pond and rid the pond of the parasite, then to have to keep treating fish over and over again individually by not getting to the root of the problem.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.

• ademink
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your input...makes me feel better about my decision to do the whole pond!

I am of the thought that there are others that probably have it also and just haven't shown signs. Plus it seems that the lifecycle lends itself to another outbreak soon anyway so it's best to kill it all at once, I think.

This is truly the first time in 5 years that I have ever had to treat my whole pond so even though it's pricey b/c of the 14-16,000 gallonage at 176 bucks...not bad over 5 years. :)

• rwheads
    9 years ago

Whiteheads, a common form of acne, are also known as closed comedones. These raised, white bumps are filled with pus, and can form on the surface of the skin on the face, shoulders, and other areas. The basic cause of whiteheads is clogged follicle openings. Blackheads, or open comedones, occur when sebum and dead skin cells plug up overly large follicle openings, and oxidation causes the plug to turn black. The cause of whiteheads is more or less the same; sebum and dead skin cells plug up the follicle openings but, because those openings are microscopically small, the plugs arenâÂÂt oxidized, so they remain white.

Here is a link that might be useful: what is whiteheads?

• ademink
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, this is an old thread. I was kidding about the teen acne...assuming you are too? lol

• diggery
    9 years ago

Lol ademink. A troll, just registered today. Best not to feed 'em;)