Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water plants crowding lilies?

Posted by coxy 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 9:18

It's the second season for my lily pond and the water lettuce/hyacinth have gone bonkers covering almost all surface areas. I can see a few of the lilies pushing through but wonder if I should thin out the plants. I hate to but want the lilies to be able to bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water plants crowding lilies?

Yes, you should thin them out. They will take over if you don't keep them thinned. You can probably sell the extras on ebay or craigs list if you want. I bought 20 Hyacinths on ebay at the start of the season and now they are starting to crowd out my lilies as well.

o

Yes, you should definitely start thinning out your floating plants because chances are that the water hyacinth and water lettuce are blocking sunlight from reaching the crown (growth tip) of the waterlily. Sunlight hitting the crown is essential for the lily's survival because this is where the leaves, flowers and new roots develop. Good luck!

Cat

o

I've already thinned mine at least three times this season. I started with four.

o

I know....... water hyacinths NEVER stop growing. I take out excess hyacinths and munch them up into compost for my terrestrial plants. Water hyacinths have a lot of nutrients in their bulby leaves.

Cat

o

Oh boy! I'd better get crackin. Hope I didn't lose the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here