Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
July 4th 'To Do List'

Posted by pashta_2006 Z4 ADK NY (pashta@aol.com) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 9:25

I took July 4th week off with a long "To Do List". I'm on the 7th day and still on Item #1 - Rebuild/fix Pond.

OMG what a chore but it does look better. Almost done. Just have to finish the fish-watching area and neaten up. Went to the pond store yesterday for 2 items and $85 later came home!

After I discovered the fish dead this spring I just let everything go, then was issued an ultimatum - fix it up or pull it out.

I've been working on it a little at a time since spring.

Here's the before:

Skippy Filter area:
Skippy before July 2011 rebuild

Stream -(I had stolen the rocks to build the skippy planter):
Stream Prior to July 2011 Rebuild

Pond - Luckily I didn't have to do a great deal with this.
Pond prior to July 2011Rebuild

Here is today:

Skippy Planter:
Skippy Planter July 2011 Rebuild

Here is the stream - Ignore the black hose - it broke and I just got the connector yesterday so I can hide it in the arborvitae and ferns:
Stream to Pond July 2011 Rebuild

Here is the pond - I dug out the overgrown plants from the front of the pond but am leaving the ferns,spiderwort and mint on the back corner.
Finished Pond July 2011 rebuild

The final frontier - The fish-watching; chiminea enjoying area: This is what I was working on when the black flies drove me in the house a few minutes ago. My BF just found my mosquito hat so I'll head back out when I finish this posting.
Fish watching area July 2011 rebuild

Then all I'll have to do is neaten up the area a bit, repair the rotten retaining wall, rub on some bengay, make a martini and sit in my fish watching area and enjoy the fruit of my labors.

Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: July 4th 'To Do List'

and well deserved it will be! What a lovely job. I really like the skippy planting area. Btw, those are nice stone blocks.

:) MaryO

o
RE: July 4th 'To Do List'

Mary,

My BF would love to hear you say they are nice. After about 3 days he got tired of helping me find "natural" rocks in the woods and hauling them home.

He came in the house and said, "Come out to the truck. I have something for you." It was 2 tons of garnet rock!! The Barton Garnet Mine is not too far from here and garnet rock is available at most of the places that sell stone. Most of them just sort of sparkle a little but in some you can really see the garnet.

The pond area doesn't look like a natural woodland pond (which was my original goal), but I love it.

Thanks for the compliments.
Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here