Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblanche

Protecting Xavan Liner from Rocks on Coping Shelf

jblanche
16 years ago

I need suggestions for something black to protect my Xavan liner from the flagstone scraps I want to use on the coping shelf, around the rim of my pond.

Black landscaping fabric has been suggested, but I recall that the labeling says it should not be exposed to UV for extended periods, so that's out.

I suppose I could buy EPDM, but I'd like something cheap, scrap something-or-other.

I have a Xavan liner with old carpet padding as underlayment. The pad also sits on top the coping shelf, so it separates the xavan from the wood shelf. The coping shelf has old wood and plastic baseboard attached to the back. The liner goes up and over that baseboard so the maximum fill level is the top of that baseboard.

I have some large xavan scraps but xavan is pretty thin and I'd prefer to use something else to lay out on top the xavan before I set down the rocks.

Thanks in advance for your all your ideas.

Comments (5)

• lady_ponder
    16 years ago

You could buy a few yards (and cut as you need) of carpet underpadding and it doesn't have to be the better quality kind. Even the white padding that goes under laminated flooring would do. Home Depot has it all.
    Good luck
    Lady Ponder

• User
    16 years ago

Just be careful with the Xavan liner which we have. A rock was knocked to the bottom in Nov of 05. It created a leak and havoc as we had a whole pond of koi. We gathered some in another pond we have and put the rest in a kiddie pool in the basement and they all lived till the next April. The Xavan people were pretty hard to deal with when we called..life time guarantee doesn't mean much. They wanted me to cut a foot size piece and send it to them and they would determine if it was acceptable or not. Meanwhile if they decide not, then our liner is worthles. They sent us a seaming tape and we put it on and filled the pond up, put the fish back and the thing leaked. We went to HD and got some sort of cement glue ..really heavy duty stuff and patched the the leak up with a xavan piece and it's holding still.

• ozziekoi
    16 years ago

I laid about half an inch of river sand on my 0.5mil PVC liner to protect it from boulders weighing over 4000 pounds and it worked fine. After the rocks were laid I washed most of the sand away with a high pressure hose and vacummed it up before filling the pond.

• mgeca
    16 years ago

buy some underlay and cut to fit, line the bottom and backs of shelves, over the top maybe. if you go this route, be sure the supplier has black underlay. cheap enough. an alternative might be the heaviest landscape cloth available, but in my opinion the underlay is tougher, made for this purpose

• jblanche
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll check locally for the black underlayment. Thanks.

I had a small hole in the Xavan, presumably from a rock falling in. I patched it with a common adhesive patch kit from the pond store, patched on both sides of the liner. It's working so far.

One other thing I thought of was the EPDM roofing. I would guess roofing guys have all kinds of small scraps. As long as it's brand new, would that be a problem?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting