Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do people use food coloring to change the color or the water?

Posted by jess2132000 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 9:57

I have a fountain and want to change the water color to a bluish green. Can I add food coloring to the water or should I use another product?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do people use food coloring to change the color or the water?

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 11:25

You had some replies to the other thread you started.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Could I add food coloring to a outdoor fountain?

o

Wal-Mart sells a blue dye for ponds.

Happy ponding,
Scott

o

IMO dyes look bad unless black. There is a black dye called Deep Water sold by Lilypons (on-line).

IMO the blue dye they sell for ponds (I think it is called Shade) looks like airplane toilet water!

Maybe consider colored lights for your fountain if you want something colorful that you can change the lens cover if you don't like one shade over another or want to have variety.

But, if you want to know how to make blue-green. Blue is a primary color and green is a secondary color made from varying amounts of blue and yellow depending on the shade you are seeking. I would start with yellow dye and add blue until you get a green you like.

Food coloring won't hurt fish IMO but it will stain like the dickens everything it touches.

o

Off subject a little, but everytime I read about people adding colorant to water, I think of the time I decided to add some Mrs. Smith's Liquid Blueing to the kids' stocktank/pool. It said it was safe to use in bird baths and swimming pools and it DID make the water an inviting cool blue color. However, my DD, who was already a bleached blonde that summer from exposure to sun and chlorine, jumped in and came out with... kelly green hair! :-O

Hmmm.....wonder what would happen to my yellow butterfly koi.... lol

Sherry

o

So will these products leave any kind of staining to the fountian?

o

You try it, and let us know. I would think that it would. Glenda

o

When used as directed, black and blue pond coloring won't stain.

Most people use way more than directed though.....

I use black in my greenhouse pond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here