Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this vine?

Posted by Tortugas1 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 10:59

Hello all. I'm new here. I am wondering if anyone knows the name of this vine. It is growing in a pot here, but it is also growing around the pond in the soil. But the plant in the water is definitely a bigger, healthier plant.
Okay, since I can't figure out how to post an image, I will describe it. It is a vine with leaves that resemble parsley, but a bit larger and lighter green, and yellow buttercup-like flowers in the spring. I'll post the pic if I can figure out how to do that. :]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this vine?

Sounds like creeping jenny to me.

o

maybe water celery? not really a vine but has long stems. The golden jenny's leaves are rather round.

:) MaryO

o

Since you said the flower looks like a buttercup, I looked up buttercup. The leaves of the creeping buttercup do resemble parsley. Is this it?

By the way, there are some very strange definitions for buttercup.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creeping Buttercup

o
What is this vine taking over my pond?

I live in Texas and right now my pond is being taken over by Duckweed and some sort of vine that I am trying to figure out how to get rid of. Only problem is I haven't a clue of what the vine is. It is growing all arount the outskirts of the pond and also out into it. We have manually removed it from the pond but "manually" it will be impossible to get it out of the dirt around the edges of the pond. I have seen no flowers on it and it floats on top the water about every four or five inches or so there is what I would say looks like a rose bud but it is just leaves. Underneath it has kind of hairy roots if you will and these white spongy like roots. I need help fast and I have a picture of it, but I guess I cannot post the pic unless I know what it is, kind of useless to not be able to do so. If somebody can help me figure out how I would post a pic. Thanks

o

Water celery has white flowers that look like queen anne's lace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here