Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deserae_gw

New progress pics of pond! Come see!!!

deserae
13 years ago

I have been working very hard and now it is really starting to come together! Yesterday we added a bog with rocks in the bottom and a few plants. Oh, and of course a few fishies.......four Koi and three Goldfish. Would love to hear what you think so far?!?!?!?

-Derek

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond pics

Comments (14)

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

Derek,

That is so fabulous!! What a great job you have done. That will be so much fun to pondscape. I like the bog area a lot too.
    Anne

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Wow, that is just stunning. I am envious of the size too as I only have a small 300 gallon. I just love your pond and design. Fabulous job.

• deserae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Thank you Anne and newyorkrita for the fabulous compliments on my pond, and taking the time to comment. Today I added a few plants around the pond. I am hoping the algae will subside soon. You can only see a few inches down. Derek

• koijoyii
    13 years ago

Wow! Very beautiful. You just have to post pics after it is landscaped. How big is it? I just love the bog area and how it is connected to the pond. I am having a little pond envy here. Great job.

Jenny

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

LOOKING AWESOME!!! WOW! I Love the water fall, even a still shot of it, you can almost hear the water running!!!lol! And love the bog garden, looks good! I'm so glad you shared your wip(work in progress) pics! It is really coming together now!!! Love the cement toad/frog!! Keep the pics coming...some real Eye Candy here!!! I haven't had an algae bloom yet, but my pond is only a month old. I have 9 small goldfish in mine. Shubunkins and sarasas and comets. They are coming for food now when I come to the pond...little fatties!lol! FUN FUN FUN!!! I'm already planning an inground pond for water lilies!!!lol! It's true what they say on this wonderful forum...ya just can't have just one pond!!!lol!

• chris_in_ct
    13 years ago

Derek,
    Looks great - nice work.

A friendly word of advice based on a lesson I learned myself: make sure the liner is tucked back up against the fieldstone covering before you cover the edge with the small river rock. Otherwise during a heavy rain the runoff will carry dirt/sediment over the liner edge and into the pond. You may have thought of this already. I never did and had to fix the edging of my pond/stream and vacuum all the muck out of my pond.

Good luck!

-Chris

• deserae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the compliments, and advice. Jenny, the main pond is about 3000 gallons. Without the waterfall, and bog it is about 20'x10' and 4.5' deep. Thanks, Derek

• pondbucket
    13 years ago

Yeah, great big pond and bog. That's a lot of edge and yard to 'scape but I would have a ball. When I first did my pond I was all into the aquatic aspect of it and not so much into the landscaping around it. It took me about a year to really do anything more than hide the liner with rock and such.

Now I'm all into naturalizing the edge with the plantings. You've certainly have room for lots of different areas to break things up.

Good Luck!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

I really like what you are doing. Wish I could start over with that size.

• prairie_bogger
    13 years ago

Wow -- That really is a great pond and bog, and from a fellow KS ponder too -- I love it! :-) I hope you keep updating with photos as everything progresses along.

Sherry

• deserae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Well I have finished the edge around the pond and have added a few more plants. I've added a Dwarf Lotus, and it has 2 blooms on it this morning. There is a picture of a few of the larger fish. The others are hiding in the deep. The smallest fish got sucked into the bottom drain a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be doing good. I had just cleaned out the leaf basket, and it may have been in the drain when I turned the pump back on. Fortunately I checked the basket a few minutes later and saw the fish in the basket. The tail was a little damaged. Will it grow back? The fish is a butterfly koi about 4 inches long. Thanks for looking. Derek

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pics

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

What a nice job you have done. And your lotus is blooming! I really like the size of the rock you used.

Renee

• goodkarma_
    13 years ago

What a beautiful pond and fish. Great job!!

• marn_eh
    13 years ago

It's a true labour of love. I like your waterfall a lot. Nice job!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner