Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seik4123

Yikes...I'm used to green algae, but this is pink...

Sheila
12 years ago

and awful. We have a small apprx 250 gal lily pond. The pool hadn't been cleaned out for two years & then our pump quit working about 6 wks back. Noticed the pink 'mess' about three wks ago. Due to busy summer schedule we could not get to cleaning. Now we have removed everything, scrubbed and purchased/installed a better out-of-pond filtering system.

I want to put one of the lily plants back into the pool, but I've noticed there are remnants of the pink 'mess' on the plant. Must this all be removed or treated before it can go back into the pool?

TIA, Sheila

Comments (5)

• koilady
    12 years ago

Hi Gran, here is some information I found at:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/pink.php

Pink algae is not really an algae, it is a type of bacteria. When the bacteria colonise a surface you will notice it in the form of a pink or clear slimy layer. Pink algae (i.e. pink bacteria colonies) are not very common in aquariums but they do occur. The main place where you can encounter pink algae is instead in swimming pools. Swimming pools located near the ocean seem to be at especially high risk. It is also possible to contaminate your pool with pink algae if you do not thoroughly clean swimsuits, under water goggles, water toys etcetera after a visit to the sea.

As mentioned above, pink algae will form slimy pink or clear layers over various surfaces. Brushing it off is normally fairly easy, but simply removing the slime is rarely enough to put a halt to the problem. If a serious infestation occurs, it can turn the water cloudy, almost like milk.

Algaecides and other anti-algae treatments are often inefficient against pink algae since the pink slime is caused by bacteria, not by true algae. There are however formulas that will kill both algae and most types of bacteria. The most common form of treatment against pink algae in a swimming pool is to use chlorine in combination with special anti-pink algae products. Most pool stores will offer some type of anti-pink algae product, but the exact content varies a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer.

This is one example of a commonly used pink algae treatment:
    �Clean equipment, swimsuits, toys etcetera with diluted bleach.
    �Brush all effected areas thoroughly (this step should be repeated frequently throughout the cleaning process).
    �Purchase an anti-pink algae product and follow the instructions from the manufacturer.
    �Make sure that the pH-value is in the 7.0-7.2 range, since this will make the chlorine more effective.
    �Superchlorinate the pool.
    �Add a sodium bromide product to the water. Bromine is known to be especially effective against pink algae.
    �Let your toys and pool equipment (brushes, nets, hoses and so on) soak in the superchlorinated water.
    �Turn off the filter and clean it meticulously.
    �Circulate the water continuously and back-wash the filter.
    �Once the problem is under control, continue to back-wash the filter and clean it out again to remove any pink bacteria colonies that might be living inside the filter.
    �A clarifier can be necessary to remove dead algae and organic debris from the water.
    �Resume normal filtration and chlorination.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

• Sheila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Lorraine. This was the only type of info I could find. Nothing seems to be available specifically for garden ponds. Our new filter pump system is really moving/aerating the water. Perhaps this will give us a healthier pond.

While searching for info, I read numerous posts where you mentioned having a solution for keeping water clear. Can you email that info to me? I'd love to read it.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Put your lily in a bath with 1 cup hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water. Refresh the water daily with 1/2 cup of peroxide for a week. That is a possible solution. It won't hurt your lily. You can use it in the pond as well. Aeration may help to destroy the bacteria. An air stone placed near the colony may increase the oxygen enough to kill it. If you have no fish, a non specific antibiotic cleaner may work. Drying it out and exposing the area to sunlight would help. If the surrounding soil contains gram negative bacteria (especially bad with clay soils that have been flooded or are often wet)remove a layer, loosen to aerate and cover with garden cloth and mulch to avoid splashing or transfer of soil into pond.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.

• koilady
    12 years ago

Hi Gran. I had never heard of pink algae before you mentioned it. I'll see what else I can find out and I think that I'll put something into our club algae.
    Way, the information you have given is great. I know that some ponds that we consult on has this algae, I call it cloud algae because that name was the closest I have come to explaing it. It is a light green in colour and is found in areas where no water is circulating and like you mentioned, not enough oxygen going to that area.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

• koilady
    12 years ago

Should have said, "Put into our club newsletter.

Your's Koily, Lorraine