Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marn_eh

Our Pond

marn_eh
13 years ago

First an introduction. My husband and I built a log home almost 40 years ago now in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, just north of the Vermont border. For anyone who hasn't visited this part of the world, we're basically at the end of the Appalachians and boy, is this land rocky.

We have a big natural pond a fair distance from our house, but I've always yearned to have the sound of water closer by. I've been lurking at this forum since 2006 absorbing everyone's stories, what worked for them, what failed.

I've been especially heartened by the fact that almost everyone here is like my husband and I: not a lot of money, certainly willing to work to get what they want.

In 2008 a lot of things came together: we tore down the woodshed right by our home, finally opening up a spot right by the house for a pond.
{{gwi:219488}}

A neighbour's son bought a very old backhoe and word got around that he worked for about half what local backhoe operators are charging. We suspected there were big rocks under our woodshed, too big for two people with shovels to handle. We were right. To give you a sense of the scale of what was dug out, my husband (the skinny guy on the left) is over 6 feet tall
{{gwi:219490}}

Backhoes can move a lot of earth, but they're not finesse machines. When Chris was done we were left with a hole that looked like this:
{{gwi:219492}}

The two of us busted out our wheelbarrows (oh yes, we have his 'n' hers wheelbarrows) and started removing dirt, shaping the pond, digging out rocks. It took weeks. Then we went down to my in-laws' farm and dug sand out of a bank in the woods, ferried it up by tractor and packed a three inch layer all over the sides of the pond. So. Much. Work.

It took all our spare loot to put in the liner. We had no idea what the thing weighed and it was all the two of us could do to get it stretched. On the advice of the local pond company which had sold us the liner, we lined the inside of the pond with heavy duty landscape fabric. No money for pumps or filters, so we filled this pond via a sump pump from our bit natural pond, covered it with tarps, more rocks than I want to think about, and dreamed of spring.

That landscape fabric saved our liner. That fall we had a bear break through the ice and fall into the pond. (The tarps over it probably fooled him into thinking he was on solid ground.) He managed to clamber out from the shallow end thanks to the traction the fabric gave him. His claws nicked the fabric, but the liner was intact. I don't want to think about what would have happened if he'd had to slip and slide over a bare rubber liner.

As I've mentioned, we have extremely rocky land. When the universe hands you lemons, make lemonade, right? In the spring of 2009 my husband and I walked every brook on our land and hand picked a river of the flattest rocks we could find, brought them up to the pond.
{{gwi:219494}}

We have access to the farm tractor, so at night after work my husband would set in place the largest rocks. The huge "chute" rock we used for our waterfall was at the very upper reaches of what the tractor could handle, but it did it. During the day, I built the walls. Here's a part way picture:
{{gwi:219496}}

It was far more work than either of us expected. In the end the stone work wasn't done until September of 2009. At that point we were about ten minutes from winter, so we didn't bother installing the filter falls or the pump. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I wasa summer of brutal, punishing work and all I had to show for it was a kidney shaped mass of pea green water.

This spring the pump and filter falls finally went in. Bought my first batch of pond plants. I can see I'll need more, but the piggy bank will be empty until next spring. I've decided to live with the pond for a summer, see if I can control water quality before I introduce fish next summer. Read enough horror stories here to make me cautious. There's been several batches of tadpoles cycle through and I even have salamanders.

The landscaping isn't done, but this is how it looks as of this morning.
{{gwi:219498}}

Would my husband and I have done this had we truly understood how much work it would be? I'm not sure.

Are we glad we did? Oh yes, definitely. I cannot begin to describe how wonderful it is to sit on our porch and hear the music of the water. But then, I don't have to describe this. You are all ponders, too, and you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Comments (12)

• koijoyii
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Marn:

Wow! What a pond! It is beautiful. I love the rock work around the edges. Looks like you both took your time and did it right the first time.

A bear in your pond. How funny. I can see deer, moose, etc. but a bear. You will have a story to tell for a long time. I could "bearly" stop laughing picturing it.

Jenny

• horton
    13 years ago

Marn, both you and your husbands hard work paid off, your pond is beautiful. What a lovely setting.
    Relax now and enjoy it.
    "Horton"

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

What a lovely pond. What a LOT of back-breaking work. Well Done.
    Anne

• drh1
    13 years ago

Outstanding!!! However, seeing such youth and energy at work makes me feel just a 'tad older! :-)) But very nice job! I think you will really enjoy it over the years to come.
    ---David

• marn_eh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awwww, thank you Jenny. I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing using *so* much rock. It most definitely acts as a heat sink. The little pond thawed weeks ahead of the big one, and my water is quite warm right now. I see lots of tweaking in my future.

I'm grateful I followed the forum--I was all set to line the pond with rocks, too, but decided not to after reading about potential problems. :)

Horton, that's a kind thing to say. Means a lot coming from someone who's installed ponds himself. We've been here a long time and been chipping away at the landscaping for about 35 years now. My heart truly is in this place.

Thank you so much, Anne for the compliment. Paul and I put the sweat into "sweat equity"--we don't have a lot of money, so we end up with a lot of DIY projects.

David, thank you. I hate to say this, but neither my husband nor I are spring chickens. We both turn 60 next year. (It drives me crazy that my hair is white and his just has a few sprinkles of gray. 'Tain't fair!)

I had a health scare the year I turned 50 and that wake up call drove me to take much better care of myself. Three times a week at the gym guarantees that I'm fit and strong enough to do the things I love. I'm a passionate gardener. If I want to keep dividing those big honkin' hunks o' daylilies, I have to keep strong :)

• diggery
    13 years ago

Marn, you are an inspiration and will greatly enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Please do keep us all updated with pics as you & hubs continue with your creative landscaping plans. I could actually feel your muscle aches from moving all that stone as I read your post! Thanks for allowing us to share your ponding journey. I have a vivid 'mind's eye' picture of what your pond will look like this time next year and...it is GLORIOUS!

Well done.

~digger

• karenrf
    13 years ago

Wow! That turned out very nice. Great job.
    How big is it?
    Any fish?

We have a fairly small yard (IMO)and I just keep adding to it constantly. We've been here for over 20 years now.
    I tell hubby that when I pass just lift the pond liner and toss me under it. ;)

• marn_eh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Why thank you, Digger! If it wasn't for the pond forum, my husband and I would never have dreamed we could take a project like this on. We've learned huge amounts from the observations of the ponders who've shared their joys and heartaches here. It's a fabulous resource.

Karen, there were days when I really felt overwhelmed and wondered if we'd *ever* get it done. As to its size, one of the things I read over and over here at the forum was that folks always felt they made their first ponds too small, so this pond is 23' long and at its widest it's 14' across. The deep end is just over 4 feet, the shallow end is 2 feet.

No fish right now. I wanted to spend the first season just learning how to get the water stable. Lots of life in the pond, though--endless tadpoles, plus salamanders have bred in it. It's great to be able to watch salamanders.

I'm thinking that when I do get fish I'll go with shubunkins--the beauty of koi, but a tougher fish.

We have 25 acres, but have only cleared one acre and will stop there. A significant hunk of this valley has been bought by the Nature Conservancy to create a green corridor for wildlife between Quebec and Vermont.

When Paul and I moved here (he grew up in this valley, but I'm a city girl) there wasn't the wildlife we see now--lots of deer, wild turkeys, some moose and now a bear. Not so thrilled by the bear which was cheeky enough to walk up on to our front porch three weeks ago. I'm still in shock over that one.

I cracked up when you said you'd asked your husband to toss you under the pond liner when the day comes. Too funny :) Have you posted pictures of your yard here? If you have, could you point me to them? I'm always looking for inspiration :)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Inspiring. Your garden is lovely, too. Such beauty.
    Renee

• goodkarma_
    13 years ago

Stunning!

• babalu_aye
    13 years ago

Wow! That is gorgeous.

John

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

I am VERY impressed and you have done a beautiful job. I drooled over every one of those rocks. You had a great lot to choose from. I know you are proud as well you should be.
    Please show more pics as things progress and thanks for sharing these.
    Carol