Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddy_feet

Fertilizing Lotus

muddy_feet
12 years ago

Since I'm new to lotus I have been trying to figure out when to fertilize them. When I first potted I used Osmocote but now that I have leaves that rise above the water surface I wonder if it's time to fertilize again. I read that lotus are very heavy feeders and need lots of fertilizer but also read you can burn them.

What do some of you recommend and how often do you fertilize?

TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:219904}}

Comments (6)

• catherinet
    12 years ago

I don't use Osmocote, but isn't that supposed to last all summer? I use either pond tabs or Jobe's tomato spikes and I use 3 per plant every 3-4 weeks. Find out about the osmocote before you add any more, since you might be adding too much more.

• muddy_feet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Osmocote lasts about 4 months the label says. I potted the tuber the middle of April so I have 1 month to go but I noticed the leaves have a yellow tinge of color to them so I thought maybe there wasn't enough fertilizer. I don't know since this is my first time growning them and maybe the leaves do look that way.

Thanks for the reply Catherinet.

• clarabelle63
    12 years ago

This is also my first time growing lotus and I'm also using osmocote. I think I've had decent growth, but no yellowing of leaves, just some die off of some of the first leaves to come out which I figure is normal. I assumed that the osmocote would last me all season, but if 4 months is what is on the label (gotta go read that label again!) then I need to think about fertilizing too. I also planted in March, and my growing season should end toward the end of September or there abouts. I have the Jobe's, but will I damage anything by pushing them in? I mean, I planted in the center of my pot, but I have leaves that have shot up from all around the pot. At this point, I don't think that I could see well enough to push one in and not break the root system? Are lotus that fragile? Am I worrying for nothing?

• muddy_feet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Clarabelle63, from what I have read about fertilizing, you can just push your finger down into the mud and then put in the pond tab (or spikes or whatever you use) down in that hole you just made and cover it up. You should be able to feel if your hitting the tuber which you don't want to do.
    Ya, if you potted in March then it's time for you to fertilize according to my label.
    I did some looking at pictures of other people's lotus' and I did notice that some had a slight ting of yellow to the leaves so I'm thinking that might be normal (scratching my head).

• Rotareneg
    12 years ago

On my American lotus the floating leaves start as a light, almost yellowish, green, turn darker with a bit of a bluish tint as they mature, and then back to yellow when they start to die off.

• chubbypoptart
    12 years ago

im no pro either but i have read that when they are turning yellow its from lack of iron. don't know if is true or not. i planted two different batches of lotus one in huge 20 gallon tubs round and sixteen or so inches deep with compost and soil with a cup of osmocote. they are still just producing floaters and are really looking weak and poor. the other batch i planted in regular soil in a 3 gallon bucket i waited till they got aerials and transplanted it into a very shallow maybe 6 inches round container about 1 1/2 ft wide, then put a cup of osmocote in the bottom and now its huge and has aerials bigger than a foot across....now just waiting for a flower!