Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
parrots feather

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 12:53

How much parrots feather is too much? The plants in my pond have gone crazy this year and the parrots feather has taken over. The water lilies have been getting through in some spots but I have to wonder if I shouldn't thin the parrots feather. On the plus side I think the plants are really clearing the water of excess nutrients because what water I can see is no longer green. Also, all the plants give the fish plenty of cover for hiding from predators. On the down side I can barely see the fish for all the plants and the parrots feather seems to be trying to crawl out of the pond now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: parrots feather

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 12:55

Here's the pond as seen from the other end.

o

Beautiful and lush... Has kinda taken over the pond.. Wish I could get mine to look that beautiful....
I know that if you thin it you could post on Craigslist for it... people are always looking for it and its expensive in the pet stores.

o

Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 11:31

Last year the parrots feather was really thin and scraggly but this year is totally different.
I hadn't even thought of posting the extra plants on Craigslist. I already have a pile of extra plants growing in a kiddy pool out back.

o

I'll buy some!

o

Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 13:09

I've pulled some of the parrots feather out of the pond and put it in a kiddy pool out back where it is growing quite quickly. It was also pretty quick to fill back in in the pond too! After taking several batches of plants back to the pool it is now full. I'm getting ready to list the extra plants on craigslist along with a bunch of other plants that I thinned out of the garden this year. We had a really mild winter here in florida which gave the plants extra time to spread!

Ernie, I would happily share some of the plants with you! Just send me an e-mail.

o

Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 14:01

Ernie, I've tried to e-mail you twice now but I'm not sure if you recieved either of them.

o

I searched my email folders, junk, etc. Can't find yoU!
Please try again
ernie85017@cox.net

o

Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:32

I've just sent you another e-mail. If you don't get it try e-mailing me without going through garden web. I've been getting your e-mails so I should be able to reply to them.

karalynnericson@yahoo.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here