Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

Posted by riverspots 7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 12:59

My 600 gallon pond sits in L of my house. Other than an occasional garter snake, I thought I was predator free. Herons and osprey fly over head but do their fishing from larger ponds or the river nearby. But today, I saw something I would never have believed. I was looking at a 1 inch goldfish fry (comet/shubunkin mutt) that was beginning to show a red and white pattern through its speckles. As I watched the fry dart from lily pad to lily pad, a robin (you know-the red-breasted harbinger of spring) made a low pass and snatched that fry on a fast fly-by.

I think it was an opportunistic grab as I hadn't seen the robin sitting nearby, scoping out the pond. But it seemed quite certain that the detour over the pond would be worth the trip. It hasn't rained here for a couple of weeks and the ground is hard. Earthworm pickings are probably quite slim and I'm sure it's hungry or needs the food for chicks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 13:40

Riverspots, there you go!
These sort of things, that people say, "just don't happen", keep on being witnessed and reported by people on this forum.

The old expression. "Any port in a storm," rings true in this case.
Can't find a worm for the kids, I'll snatch a little fish!

"Horton"

o

Wow Riverspots, that's amazing!

o

Ok, let me ask you this... did the fish have a worm in it's mouth?

I had better get out there and start sprinkling some feeder worms around the garden.

o

I did, of course, search the internet for similar sightings. Apparently, robins have been (rarely) seen wading knee deep to catch small fish. And may catch insects while flying. My robin has just combined the two hunting techniques.

o

It was a kingfisher in costume as a robin. Either that or the eggs were switched in the nest.
Mike

o

When you reflect on the gargantuan mouths on those baby robins it is not strange at all that the parents, driven mad with the demands of their young, become fishermen.

o

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 7:00

"Ok, let me ask you this... did the fish have a worm in it's mouth?"

bluesunflower, that WAS funny! LOL

"Horton"

o

That is an intersting observation. Perhaps the bird was getting a drink and the fry jumped in his mouth? lol

Regards,
Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here