Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill invasive bog plant????

Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 13:05

It looked so pretty for a few years...now it is definitely from hell and grew THROUGH my liner, causing the pond to leak. OMG!

Phragmites variegatus...don't do it!!!!!

I currently have about 6" worth of roots in my bog area...I pulled the crap outta there but all of the runners are still under there and popping up 6-10' OUTSIDE of the pond too. I will round up the runners on the outside of the pond but wonder how to kill what is in the pond? I tried pulling and cutting the root mass out but literally have cleared an 8" section in an hour. I will be doing it until Jesus returns at this rate.

I wondered if it would work to saturate the area with sea salt...??? Do you think it would kill it? I figured if salt got into the pond (16000 gallons) it wouldn't make a difference. The root mass is wet but there is no actual standing water in the area b/c the roots are so dense.

Ideas?

Thansks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill invasive bog plant????

I don't know if salt would do the trick or not. I did a goole on phragamite control and found many sites. One in particular seemed to be most informative for me and I have included the link below.

It does appear that there are two chemicals mentioned in many sites that have been approved for use in and near waterways. I don't know if either of them would be appropriate for you.

I have had problems with invasive plants too and have basically just dug them up over and over and over until they are at least very sparse. It is almost impossible to totally eradicate them.

Hopefully others will have some good information for you. Good Luck.
Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Phragamite Control Information

o
RE: How to kill invasive bog plant????

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 15:51

Hmmm..they actually recommend salt water to kill it in that document. I think I'm going to try it! there are no other plants in the bog that I am concerned about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here