Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Expanding existing pond without removing fish

Karen Marcely
10 years ago

I have been reading posts on this site for quite sometime but have never written one. I have a garden pond with koi that I feel may be too small. It's approximately 900 gallons but I have about 12 koi. It's about 3 ft deep.

I've been inspired and encouraged by the posts from Cliff and Joann on how to do this. But they are a couple years old and I was wondering if anyone else has done this since those posts were written. I have read on other sites where people do not recommend doing this. I know a few people here have, but I guess I'm looking for a little more encouragement before I make up my mind.

I would do what Cliff and Joann did, only going about 2 ft in the new section. My question also is do the fish know to go to the deeper section during the winter months, as I live in upstate NY where winters can be below freezing for weeks/months at a time.

Any further advise on this subject would be great.

Comments (12)

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I re-read my post and realized I didn't say what I wanted to do. I was referring to the expanding my pond by digging a pond next to my current pond and then bonding the liners together such as Cliff and Joann wrote in a post a few years back.

Just thought I should clarify what I was talking about.

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

Yes, the fish know where the deep part of the pond is in the winter.
    We expanded our pond back in 98 and it is still holding up beautifully.

If you care to dig up the thread on this pond expansion, I'll be
    glad to answer any questions.
    joann

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

For those newer members, this is a pic from last week
    of the addition that we call the dog leg.

This post was edited by cliff_and_joann on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 18:02

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

this is where the two liners are connected, under the gold and white
    butterfly koi.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I have to butt in here and say that the pond is looking fabulous Joan!

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response Joann. I have read your thread on how to do this several times and if we do it I will more than likely go back to it again and again.

My biggest worry is sealing the two liners together. Did you put something under the liner, such as a board to make it a hard surface for sealing? What about sealing and taping the curved part that goes up the sides? I also was told that cleaning the liner is really essential and to use either alcohol or citronella liquid used for torches. I can't remember if your post said what you used if for cleaning the liner.

One other question, did you add another pump and filter? I currently have the skimmer, but I know there may be an issue with water movement in the addition. Not sure if a bubbler will suffice.

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

Yes. cleaning the liner is essential...where is the link to that thread? i need to refresh my memory. We used tape, silicone and also cut strips of our own from the liner
    which we glues on, like an extra bandade....It's a little tricky doing the curved part, but remember its only about 2 foot wide and 1 foot deep where its pieced together.

We have a small waterfall
    in the new section that we call the dog leg...its 6 foot
    wide and 13 foot long...the fish love the extra swimming area,...I'll get you a link to a video, from there you can
    view all our videos.

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

Here's one that shows the dog leg

Here is a link that might be useful: pond

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

Forgot to say thank you pkponder :) thank you

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Joann, I hope to do this project later in the summer or early fall. I have your thread with the directions that I will refer, but may reach out to you via this forum with a question or two.

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

Sounds like a plan. :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Found it! I remember when this was new.

About halfway down is where the construction photos are.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: Cliff and Joann's expansion/construction thead

This post was edited by pkponder on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 4:04

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz