Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expanding existing pond without removing fish

Posted by kmarcel (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 13:06

I have been reading posts on this site for quite sometime but have never written one. I have a garden pond with koi that I feel may be too small. It's approximately 900 gallons but I have about 12 koi. It's about 3 ft deep.

I've been inspired and encouraged by the posts from Cliff and Joann on how to do this. But they are a couple years old and I was wondering if anyone else has done this since those posts were written. I have read on other sites where people do not recommend doing this. I know a few people here have, but I guess I'm looking for a little more encouragement before I make up my mind.

I would do what Cliff and Joann did, only going about 2 ft in the new section. My question also is do the fish know to go to the deeper section during the winter months, as I live in upstate NY where winters can be below freezing for weeks/months at a time.

Any further advise on this subject would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expanding existing pond without removing fish

I re-read my post and realized I didn't say what I wanted to do. I was referring to the expanding my pond by digging a pond next to my current pond and then bonding the liners together such as Cliff and Joann wrote in a post a few years back.

Just thought I should clarify what I was talking about.

o

Yes, the fish know where the deep part of the pond is in the winter.
We expanded our pond back in 98 and it is still holding up beautifully.

If you care to dig up the thread on this pond expansion, I'll be
glad to answer any questions.
joann

o

For those newer members, this is a pic from last week
of the addition that we call the dog leg.

This post was edited by cliff_and_joann on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 18:02

o

this is where the two liners are connected, under the gold and white
butterfly koi.

o

I have to butt in here and say that the pond is looking fabulous Joan!

o

Thanks for the response Joann. I have read your thread on how to do this several times and if we do it I will more than likely go back to it again and again.

My biggest worry is sealing the two liners together. Did you put something under the liner, such as a board to make it a hard surface for sealing? What about sealing and taping the curved part that goes up the sides? I also was told that cleaning the liner is really essential and to use either alcohol or citronella liquid used for torches. I can't remember if your post said what you used if for cleaning the liner.

One other question, did you add another pump and filter? I currently have the skimmer, but I know there may be an issue with water movement in the addition. Not sure if a bubbler will suffice.

o

Yes. cleaning the liner is essential...where is the link to that thread? i need to refresh my memory. We used tape, silicone and also cut strips of our own from the liner
which we glues on, like an extra bandade....It's a little tricky doing the curved part, but remember its only about 2 foot wide and 1 foot deep where its pieced together.

We have a small waterfall
in the new section that we call the dog leg...its 6 foot
wide and 13 foot long...the fish love the extra swimming area,...I'll get you a link to a video, from there you can
view all our videos.

o

Here's one that shows the dog leg

Here is a link that might be useful: pond

o
RE: mExpanding existing pond without removing fish

Forgot to say thank you pkponder :) thank you

o

Thanks Joann, I hope to do this project later in the summer or early fall. I have your thread with the directions that I will refer, but may reach out to you via this forum with a question or two.

o

Sounds like a plan. :)

o

Found it! I remember when this was new.

About halfway down is where the construction photos are.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: Cliff and Joann's expansion/construction thead

This post was edited by pkponder on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 4:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here