Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with plant ID: pink flowers, long/broad green leaves

Posted by Revan Utah (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 15:23

I picked a few of these from a lake in northern Utah while canoeing, hoping I'd be able to grow em in my tanks since they're just pretty.

Does anyone know the name of the plant or what kind it is? They were firmly attached to the lake floor; leaves were in the surface and only the flowers were exposed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with plant ID: pink flowers, long/broad green leaves

Oops, I guess this should be in the Name That Plant! section, sorry. I don't see a delete option, hmm...

o

Hello, Revan, and welcome to the pond forum. Can't help you with the id but posting here is fine. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you out. They are lovely.

blessings,
~digger

o

Thanks, Digger... it did get answered -- awesome! It's non-toxic, though needs substrate & real sunlight so I'll bury the roots it in a small pot & put the tank by a window that can be opened during the day. They are lovely :)

o

Great. Now don't leave me hangin'. Do tell, what was the id? Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

o

Oh, right lol... they're called Polygonum Amphibium or water knotweed (lotsa links so I'll let ya google it and pick hehe). It's apparently common all over the U.S., and can grow easy... classified as a weed -- real pretty weeds :)

o

Thanks. Don't think I've seen one.

o

They're common in UK & Europe, but that's a nice specimen you got there...

o

Ah, cool... apparently found all over the US too, and anywhere that's "wet" enough, though I've never seen one (or maybe just not this nice hehe).

It seems to be growing fine potted in soft substrate in the aquarium with full-spectrum lighting (and near the window). The turtles like docking on it :)

o

Handsome lil fella, he is, he is.

o

Handsome lil fella, he is, he is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here