Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lola6964

Sick Fish

lola6964
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have a goldfish that hasn't seemed very lively for a week or so and today I can see a long white thin thread trailing from his body, and some of the white scales look funny when viewing him from the top. I haven't caught him to look at him closer since I don't want to stress him.

Any ideas what this is? Parasites? How should I best treat him? I have two other goldfish in my little half barrel pond as well.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Comments (12)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

What you see is 99% possibility poop. You can feed him fresh cooked peas that have been peeled( just squeeze them). The peas are a tonic and a laxative. Worry about the scales later.

• lola6964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, ok. I'd rather think that it's poop than an anchor worm or something, but this is a long thread, not a short one, so maybe it's not a worm.

Will try the peas, and maybe catch this guy later on and look at his scales.

Thanks!

Chris

• lola6964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took a picture of my fish. I can't see the white thread now, but this spot looks funny to me.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

Hey, Chris. At the moment it looks like he has a scrape. Watch it for a couple more days and see if it gets worse. If it is something serious it will change for the worse. If it is just a scrape it will start to heal. Sometimes an injury can get infected. That is what you need to be aware of happening. It is not a parasite although parasites are opportunistic. The lethargy is always worrisome.

Some fish can get trapped in small spaces they could swim through before or can get roughed up by other fish or panic and crash into the sides or even get sucked against a pump tube. All of those can cause scrape injuries. They can lose scales and still heal up fine. You just have to keep an eye out for changes.If those happen someone here will likely be able to tell what it is. Watch the gills and for streaks on the fins in particular.

• lola6964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the help. What am I watching the gills for though?

• ademink
    10 years ago

If the gills get really red. And streaky fins can mean septicemia - which means internal infection. How is he doing now?

• lola6964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He seems better. I've fed him peas for several days, which he seems to like, and I think he's more active now as well.

• ademink
    10 years ago

awesome! you may want to test your water and wach for high nitrites also. :)

• lola6964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On that note..I've been looking for test kits online. I could really use suggestions for what kinds are best, and what tests are necessary?

Thanks All!

Chris

• ademink
    10 years ago

I personally use the API liquid test kit. I also have a digital pH meter by Koi Medic, as well as a salt meter by Koi Medic (you can find them on Ebay). What I test religiously:

Ammonia
    Nitrites
    Nitrates
    pH

I test the salt if I am using it...obviously. :)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

Chris, how is your fishie doing?

• lola6964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My little fishie is doing great! He seems to be eating like a champ. Once it looked like he would be ok and nothing serious was wrong, I bought him a couple little pals.
    All seems well, so I'm a happy ponder. Is that a word? haha

I received my test kit today so I can find out how the water is doing. The ammonia test says it is for aquariums treated with salt water, so I hope it works for my little non-salt water treated ponds.

Thanks for asking about my fish!

Chris