Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lake/Pond Muck Pellets

Posted by Kim_2014 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 15:43

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum but a long time 'lurker'. My husband and I recently purchased a cottage and the water frontage has some weeds and mucky areas ("sludge"). I was wondering if anyone has tried using those Muck Pellets that are on the market and if they had success? They're purchased under a variety of names but all basically function the same, by breaking down the muck using beneficial bacteria.
I've recently purchased some to give a try and will monitor it to see how well it works.
From what I've read it's not a quick fix but it environmentally safe and cheaper than some of the big machines that take out the muck.
Thanks for reading!
-Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lake/Pond Muck Pellets

Since you've already made the purchase it doesn't really matter now. The good news is these products don't do any great harm, it just adds a tiny bit more waste to the water.

These products are complete scams. The bottom line is bacteria populations grow to their environment so an environment always has pretty much the max amount of bacteria it can support. There's no real change adding some more, but some people "see" improvement which the scam depends on.

Improving the environment for bacteria growth has a much bigger impact on the bacteria population. However, even that doesn't have a noticeable impact on muck. Muck is pretty much the end result of bacteria, it's basically soil.

Bacteria myth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here