Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

duckweed & corkscrew rush for small ponds?

vieja_gw
13 years ago

I know duckweed is illegal here to let go in the rivers & streams but my goldfish just can't get enough of that 'salad'! I got some of the duckweed clinging to some Corkscrew Rush when I bought it today & am going to try & grow the duckweed in a separate container & just feed the fish from there so I can still keep some growing (it will NEVER reach any stream or river!). I bought the Corkscrew Rush to plant on the 6-8 inch ledge in the pond water but wonder if it should be grown out of the water or at least just the bottom of the plant in the water? I don't have a bog area. Also, how do I keep it over winter ... it survives in my zone but should it be taken out of the pond then in winter & the pot be dug into the ground around the pond? Other than the lilies, most of the pond plants seem to be best on ledges in the water but above the bottom (but sunk to the bottom in winter)? I only have water lilies & dwarf cat tails now in the pond (small 250 gal. free form on submerged pump & Skippy filter filled with pads & mint growing in it) but for the last two years have been blessed with little algae problem (darn... NOW watch that green stuff invade!!)

The mosquito-eating minnows that I have in the pond have all gone on 'maternity leave' :) & hundreds of teeny little ones trying to escape those darn hungry goldfish! The City give them away free each season & I this time also got a couple tadpoles along with the minnows! Will they survive, develop & live in the pond or get out & my dogs find them?

My son just finished a 400 gal. lower pond & a waterfall from an upper smaller pond that falls & feeds a small stream into the lower pond. I want to get some plant advice to give to him to try & keep him from the mistakes I first had. But isn't this ponding addicting?!!

Appreciate any helpful ideas!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner