Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ernie_m_gw

My poor sick Koi

ernie_m
13 years ago

Middle of last week my 12" 2 year old Koi took ill. One day swimming and eating fine, next day went sideways on the bottom and wasn't swimming. Put off in quarantine with 82 degree temperature, salt and antibiotics in the water.

It is the largest of 5 fish in my 200 gallon pond, equal in size to all the rest combined. All water readings are normal, ph 7.4, ammonia, nitrite nitrate all almost zero.

Symptoms are it swims terribly (but much more active when first spotted sick), on its side (but better then it was: always upside down), has at least new two lesions that seem to come and go. Shows no interest in food but can be quite perky at times swimming hurriedly if erratically. Sometime while in the quarantine tank its tail got an upward bend and seems not to move, *possibly* from a shock from the heater I've never used before, or something internal. (The tail can be gently straightened out again.)

It will be a week tomorrow since it has had any food. I am loosing hope it will ever recover. Does anyone have any suggestions to try? I've asked on koivet but I really do not agree with their answer.

Comments (3)

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

Ernie,

I have no suggestions, but want you to know I'll pray for you and your fish. Hopefully someone who does know will respond.

Anne

• mike_il
    13 years ago

Ernie,
    What do you mean by has at least two lesions that seem to come and go? If it wasn't for these I would guess that it was one of three things. First would be electrical shock. The second would be a stroke. And the third and most likely is that the fish jumped and hit it's head on something hard like a rock. If any of these three things are the problem then the fish may recover enough to survive. It may take quite a while before it starts to try to eat again.
    Mike

• ernie_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anne: thank you so much. Both me and my fish could use as much of Gods help as we can get. I've prayed myself for him to guide me in my fishes care.

Mike: Week ago Sunday I first noticed a red spot behind his head in the first row of scales. Fish took ill following Wednesday but this area was not red that day, was red Friday or Saturday, has now cleared up. Sunday I noted another reddish patch oh his belly a little before his vent. I believe these are small ulcers or body sores.

I am hoping it is an electrical shock (as anything biological that causes this is dreadful for ALL my fish). The poor thing knocked the fish tank type heater into the water sometime Friday night and it was only after this I noted the bent tail.

It seems like it wants to be more active but also seems like it has no control over its main back fin, all swimming is done with its front fins.

I am worried about it not eating as starvation isn't very pleasant and I do have some medicated food I would like to try. Last night I found I can gently raise him to the surface and actually got a few pellets into his mouth,though most were spit right back out.

For him to have hit his head he would have to leave the pond. I did have some predator take 3 goldfish 3 months back, perhaps it came back and got hold of him.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company