Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Pond rebuild pics

Calamity_J
11 years ago

Soooo Happy with pond rebuild, restocked fish and planted up waterlilies, I think that the otter, if/when it comes back will have a harder time catching the fish with the pondlily baskets back in place!

{{gwi:221440}}

{{gwi:221443}}

{{gwi:221444}}

{{gwi:221445}}

Comments (12)

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

Wow CalamityJ what a lot of work to re-build. You did a great job. I'm impressed.

Are the water lilies actually hanging from the pipes I see in the water or are they there just to lift the lilies or for some other reason.

Your spillway looks great!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a link to my whole pond building album, it shows how I attached a bunch of milk crates together for a lily island!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond

• gilroybighouse
    11 years ago

Very nice, Calamity. I like your rockwork, and the castle tower is cute. Makes it look like a church on a loch.

I'll have a look at your album to see how deep it is and how you built it. BTW, is that a purple petunia in the basket? Which one?

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pond is built in a raised garden bed right off from the deck, so nice and close to the house(I can look out my art studio at the pond!) The pond is 6ft wide 10ft long and 39" deep. I have pretty well scrounged everything for it. I have a new pump, Laguna 1500pump, Cyprio Bioforce 2000w/uv filter. Rebuilding this cuz of the great idea of using sandbags to build a retaining wall at the waterfall end...well, the bags got damp and rotted so when the water pressure wasn't hold them in place anymore...they did the old gravity slide down into the pond!grrr, rocks sliding along the liner...arg!!! I added that nice pc of granite for the water to flow over, it is such a nice contrast to all the grey! It took some tweeking to get the water to flow over most of it as it is so nice all wet! Got some fish into the pond on sunday, and they are eating from me already! Just fancy goldfish, but I am such a big fan of waterlilies that I was concerned if I got any koi, that they would mess with them. not to mention that I have had a visiting otter so goldfish are cheaper to replace! BUT that being said....the fish went missing when I had my milkcrate island out of the pond(it was fish in a barrel then!)My idea for the arbor over the pond is to get some fishing line around to thwart off heron, haven't had to yet. But the straight sides(no planter shelving) has stopped racoons from getting in. I just hoope the otter will be discouraged with the big crate to swim around! Plus the fish are small and can go into the milk crates! Yup, just getting to play around the pond again is so great, I REALLY missed it!!! Got to get my lights set up again(The castle lights up too!) The lady down the road makes these amazing baskets(master gardener x 1000!) Our growing season is late this yr but these hanging baskets are really gonna take off and be spectacular! I put the cross on the castle to remind myself to be grateful that I have such an amazing life!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Couldn't resist! Had to add a Ball-O-Fish in the middle...not too sure about the porcelain tile I used, but it was big enough and I sure can see the fish on it! Had 5 fish at one time inside the glass ball(aquarium)!(Seduced them with food!)

{{gwi:221446}}

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just filled it to the top...ya, new retaining wall...and it is now 43 inches deep thus 1575gallons! Happy fish!

• User
    11 years ago

Calamity,
    Your pond is awesome! I love it! Alot of work I am sure, but it looks real good. I love the ball too to view the fishies!

• diggery
    11 years ago

Congrats on the rebuild, now you can just enjoy! Looks great as always & I know the fishies are lovin it. Almost time for some more pics all lit up (hint, hint)

blessings,
    digger

• adriennemb2
    11 years ago

Beautiful work. It all looks very relaxing :)

• akarinz
    11 years ago

Calamity,

Can you explain your setup in the middle?

Karin

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    11 years ago

akarinz: I put a link to my pond in the 2nd post I did, it has pics(better than a thousand words!) it is milk crates with cement blocks inside to weigh them down and all zap strapped together. I can't believe how fast the pond lilies are growing, there was 9 leaves on the surface on monday and now 24!!!! They are two BIG pots planted up with 3 colors of lilies each!!! light pink, dark pink and yellow!!! So should be very pretty when blooming! The pots are like 18" across, so they have plenty of room to grow!!!

• Craigger7
    11 years ago

Very nice....Nice garden too

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus