Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shortcelticgirl

Claw foot tub as pond-paint suggestions?

shortcelticgirl
12 years ago

Hi, new member here. I have bought an antique claw foot tub to use for my new garden project, an above ground fish pond on my porch. I brought it home and have some concerns about the paint on the inside. I started cleaning it with a clean rag and cool water (no soap), and some paint started coming off on the rag. So it seems to me that the previous owner painted it with some sort of flat interior type paint, that or spray paint that has weathered badly. I dont think I can use it now without at least sealing the inside surface, but I am not sure what I can use. I cannot afford to re-finish it. My husband has me on a strict budget for this project that I have to stick to. Some friends have suggested sweet water epoxy paint, but I cant afford that either, its like $80.00 bucks for a bucket of it, and thats way out of my budget also. So what inexpensive product can I use to either paint or just seal the inside of the tub that wont be toxic to any future critters and plants? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz