Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake in Pond

Posted by hibiscusfan zone 5 N.W. Oh. (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 16:30

I've seen a water snake in our pond and am wondering if anyone knows a way to get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake in Pond

I don't know of any way to get rid of them. I leave them be. So far I'm not aware of them causing any problems.

Anne

o

Get a teenage boy to catch it and take it to a natural area. There is no way to keep them from visiting your pond. No snake repellents. If you build it, wildlife will come.

o

They do eat fish.I had to walk in big farm pond to save a swan,I stepped off shore turned around to see a big water snake with a blue gill in his mouth.

o

I would not want to hurt the snake but depending on the size I would remove it. Grill tongs are great for snatching small ones out of the pond, tossing them in a small trash can and then relocating them far far away. I have heard of putting bird netting around the perimeter in wads? folds? and this catches the snake when he tries to crawl thru and gets tangled but have not had to try it. I know they are a part to the pond wild life but encourage them to live elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here