Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

what happened to the tadpoles ...??

vieja_gw
11 years ago

On an earier posting I mentioned three resident toads laying so many eggs in the pond & they turned into black 'sperm-like' tadpoles that seemed to prefer clinging to the side of the pond in the water. Soon some seemed to oddly turn a beige color, the rest still black. I watch every day but none seemed to develop beyond this stage into little 'toadlets' & now no sign of any tadpoles in the pond water any more either. Husband thinks they developed into little toads & got (do they jump out or how .. ?) out of the pond ... but surely not just over night?! Wonder what happened to them? Same thing also happened last year & I was so in hopes of seeing my yard full of those little critters!!

Comments (7)

• bedford8a
    11 years ago

In my experience the little tadpoles quickly develop tiny legs and feet and leave the pond soon after they hatch, even if they still have a tail. And they're tiny - maybe just a 1/4 inch long at the most. They leave at night, too. They're also good climbers - my little toadlets used to scale a brick edging to leave my pond.

They also get caught in the pond filter - have you checked your filter for tadpoles?

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I hope you are right! I just had no idea they could develop so quickly from the tadpole stage to toadlets! Now I will watch for them in the lawn & flower beds to see if they are there.

Thanks for the reassurence!

• diggery
    11 years ago

I have to watch where I step these days. Got dozens (and dozens!) hanging out in the shade beneath my hostas, ferns & elephant ears. Cute lil buggers. I'm sure yours are fine. Most will migrate but you'll know for sure how many decided to hang a 'home sweet home' sign come next spring. Trust me on that. Here's hopin you can be lulled to sleep to the tune of froggy/toad love songs *chuckle*

blessings,
    ~digger

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ?encouragement! This is the second year that our old resident toad has met another toad (from where?) at our pond & made such a racket every night, laid eggs & tadpoles hatched; but neither last year or this year (so far!) have we ever seen any of the hatchling toadlets ,, anywhere. I did notice just before everything disappeared that some of th tadpoles had turned beige while the rest were still black ... was this a transition stage I wonder?

I did chec the filter when I cleaned it(just a home-made Skippy filter & quilt batting tucked around the submerged pump but couldn't see any trapped tadpoles in amongst the trapped algae, etc.!

Which is worse: the 'love songs' of the toads or the frogs? We are not near a body oif water so don't think we'dever have frogs in our yard ... the toads ae enough!

• NaturesFolly
    11 years ago

The toads have a sweet trill when they call altho it can be a bit much when you have 5 or 6 trilling at the same time.

The frogs will come.. we are over a mile from a lake and I have at least 15 frogs that have taken up year round residence at my 2 small ponds.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, my gosh ...

there are big, black tadpoles in our rainbarrels now .... how in the world did they get in there? Too tall for toads to get in ... maybe dropped in them by some birds?!Friends joke that it must be some of the 'aliens' from Roswell, NM just south of us doing this!!

Friend said he saw a grackle pluck a mosquito-eating minnow out of his fish pond the other day ... bird flew off with the minnow wiggling in its beak!
    Still waiting to find any 'toadlets'.....!

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, now I see the black tadpoles that turn brown/tan are the ones beginning to turn into the tiny toads!! I fished one tan one (that was black a couple days ago!)out of the rain barrel & it was a tiny toad with the tail still intact! I place it in the strawberry patch & hope it finds enough to eat there.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus