Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby fish and adding fish

Posted by Gasnick WA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 17:00

Two questions; have 1500 gal pond with about 30 grown goldfish who have been there many years. Have only re-produced once and only a few survived. Why have they only produced once. Have plenty of lillies, rushes and have added some bottom grass plants, where I hear they lay eggs.

What other kind of fish, (except Koi) can I add to pond that are unlikely to introduce diseases. Any special process on how to introduce or what to treat new fish with, to reduce chance of infection.

Thanks,
Gasnick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby fish and adding fish

No offense intended but why do you want more fish? That is plenty for that many gallons....

o
RE: Baby fish and adding fish

They probably are reproducing but with 30 adult goldfish eating the eggs and fry, offspring does not have the chance to survive. I had that happen one summer when I left the previous year's babies in the pond. All the eggs and fry were consumed.

If you had fewer fish maybe the fry would be able to survive.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here