Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nonamesleft47

Scarecrow vs dog questions/opinions

nonamesleft47
13 years ago

Hi all, I don't post much as I'm fairly self sufficient but I wanted other ponders opinions. I installed a pond in the back yard this spring. The entire area with landscaping is about 35x20 and is enclosed on two sides by the house and privacy fence. Long story short, my dog has now decided that the area between the pond and the house is now his favorite spot. Plants I planted there, rocks, mulch, big pieces of driftwood, ect get dug up as that is "his bed". He goes in and out via dog door during the day and has a number of other shady spots in the yard (not to mention the 72 degree house) where he could choose to lay but I guess next to the pond is cool and he can watch fish at the same time.

I'm ready to just fence the whole pond area in and keep him out but honestly it would look like crud and he's not jumping in the pond or destroying anything except a 3x10 foot piece of real estate next to the house. So I was thinking that for the same amount to buy wire fence and put it up I could get a scarecrow to "train" him when I'm not there as he doesn't like the hose, rain or any sort of water that he isn't drinking. So my thinking was that I could put the scarecrow in the back corner between the house and fence and after a few squirts he would avoid the area and use some other spot to make his bed.

Anybody have thoughts as whether it would work or not? Any other options? I really don't even want to keep him out of the area all the time, just when I'm not there to babysit... I'm open to ideas or suggestions so if you have any lay em on me. Thanks

Comments (2)