Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohrats9

Feeding budworm to turtles?

ohrats9
11 years ago

I have a tiny little paint turtle who eats all kinds of worms that I feed it. I also have petunia plants being savaged by budworms. Does anyone know if the turtle will eat the budworms and if it's alright for it to?

I don't know where else to post this and it seems like you guys know everything there is to know about this stuff...

TIA

Comments (12)

• ohrats9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that the plants are not treated with any type of chemical except for a plant food that can be used in garden vegetables.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

You're probably better off asking questions like that on a reptile/herpetology forum. If you did a search on that you'll find there are plenty of sites around. This is one, but there are lots out there.
    http://www.reptileforums.net/forums/

I have 2 turtles, Chelodina rugosa, but I know their habitat/diet requirements. I don't know anything about the Paint Turtle. I don't know what "Budworms" are but assume they're not actually worms. Most likely a catepillar. I'd be wary about feeding them to a turtle until I found out more about them.

• ohrats9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, thanks so much. I have posted on a turtle forum but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Can you tell me what actual species those turtles are? I can google up what the "budworms" are and then I can try asking on the forum I use here.

The reason I'm wary with the "budworms" is that many catepillars have chemical defences. Turtles are generally quite greedy little beggars and scoff food without looking. Especially captive ones which often don't learn what's inedible. One time I was in the pen feeding mine. The other one not getting its food quick enough grabbed my shirt and tried to drag me into the water. When they want food, boy do they want food.

• johnkr
    11 years ago

I've had eastern painted turtles for several years. They eat "meat" when they are young, but tend to move to a more vegetarian diet as they mature. Besides turtle pellets, my turtles love watermelon. I would definitely not add bud-worms to their diet. There are alternatives that are known to be safe. I suggest you also limit the amount of feedings as they will over eat.

• ohrats9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eastern painted I believe.

So I squished one of the caterpillars and the nastiest green gross came out so I skipped feeding them to Herbert. Just didn't look like such a good idea you know?

Herbert is still quite young. His shell is about 3" long now, but I found him when he was about the size of a quarter. He was on a city sidewalk about to be eaten by a dog. I couldn't get him to water immediately and I didn't know what to do with him so I took him home. He lives in a 55 gallon tank with tropical fish, live plants, river stones and drift wood pieces, one of which is his basking spot. I give him turtle pellets, dried flies, fruits, green leafy vegetables, wax worms, fruit flies and red wigglers. And of course, when he's fast enough he gets the rare fish. Oh, and ghost shrimp. I leave a pile of the pellets on his food landing strip and he eats them throughout the day.

How do you know if you are overfeeding a turtle? He's super active, doesn't gobble all the pellets in one sitting and looks great so I figured he was okay. I have never had a turtle before this and only brought him home because I knew he would die and heaven forbid nature take it's course when I see a struggling baby animal. :-/

I know this isn't pond plant talk and I'm sorry if it bothers people, but I'll honestly take all the help I can get!

• diggery
    11 years ago

Not exactly pond talk but lots of ponders have turtles so not too OT either. I'm sure no one here will be take offense. Wish I had some knowledge to offer, but I don't. Good luck. Your rescued turtle is a lucky one for sure, for sure.

blessings,
    ~digger

• ohrats9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks digger. :)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Looks like your question has basically been answered. I agree, it's one lucky turtle. Mine get fed by me once a fortnight. Their pond has a lot of leaf litter (they're a swamp turtle) with fish, shrimps, freshwater crabs and whatever insect life gets into their enclosure. I know they'd like me to keep feeding them, but the between times they have all the other stuff to hunt. It keeps them active, exercises their reflexes, and when they're full they generaly can't be bothered chasing around for more. So it's fairly self-regulating.

• Ghrey
    11 years ago

First of all, it's my first time in this forum and I can't help to wonder why this topic is in here because I thought it is just for plants strictly. Still, I got curious so I came in. I also love turtles and I don't want to feed them any unknown pests. You can spray spicy pepper combined with water as a natural insecticide for your plant.

• ohrats9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone. I will not be feeding them to Herbert but I will maintain the stance of

DEATH TO ALL BUDWORMS

• diggery
    11 years ago

Hello Ghrey & welcome. This is a ponding forming (not restricted to plants). Pretty much anything remotely related to ponding is welcome. If someone here doesn't have the answer, they can usually direct the OP to someone who does. TFS.

blessings,
    ~digger