Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celbii

Need to know pond plants for this extreme heat please help!

celbii
12 years ago

Hello, I live in oklahoma city and I have a small pond. It mostly has water Hyacinthia but in this constant 100+ degree heat they are all dying. Can anyone recommend me some good plants that will survive this heat? THanks much.

Comments (7)

• maisaigon25
    12 years ago

Some good plants are lotus and hardy water lily, but is the pond in full sun. If it is then only Lotus.

• celbii
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you know of anything cheaper? Lotus look really expensive.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Water hyacinths should be fine in that heat. They are native to hot jungles and they have taken over waterways in Florida and throughout the swampy parts of the SE US.

There are plenty of hardy waterlilies that are happy to have full sun. Many growers are in Texas and other states where it can get really hot.

There are some recent threads here on where to get plants cheaper than most local garden centers.

Start with the Exchange forum....

• hardin
    12 years ago

My WH did not do well this summer, but it wasn't because of the heat. They were beautiful and multiplied like crazy last summer. But I have great luck with pickerel weed, hardy lilies, arrowheads, bog bean and parrot feather, just to name a few.

Because the heat is so extreme this summer, I have a tarp stretched over the pond to help keep water cooler. It helps ALOT, but looks rather like a "Redneck Pergola." Someday I will have a real one. Hope that helps.

• okiee
    12 years ago

I live in Moore Ok and this heat is terrible this summer. I have pickerel weed, hardy water lilly, parrots feather and hornwort.The only thing that is doing good is the pickerel weed. Usually the hornwort covers the pond by now and I am usually throwing some of it away or giving it away on craigslist.Parrots feather isnt growing and neither are my 3 water lillies. My pond is in full sun for about 7 hours.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

I had been thinking that the heat was the reason my WH was not doing well. After pondering over another post I checked the plants and realized the fish had chomped the roots something awful. LOL

My pickerel is doing better than ever.

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

My WH is doing okay but not thriving the way it usually does by now. Only one "daughter" so far and none of them have grown much bigger.

However the Fairy Moss (azolla) is going gangbusters!!! I give gallon bags of it away to other ponders in this area and every night I come home and the pond is once again totally covered in it. It is covering my upper little pool, containers in my skippy filter and a couple of tubs I have with water just for the Fairy Moss.

I am usually buying more and more all summer because the fish eat it up so fast. This year it is larger and reproduces more quickly than ever.

I Love it!!
    Anne