Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

My front yard ponds

buyorsell888
12 years ago

We started building these in 2004, all have rubber liners. The three on the outer edges have clay garden soil over the liner and the waterlilies planted directly into the clay. No fish, no filters, lots of frogs and dragonflies. Never cleaned out. I do put black dye early in the season into the one with the fountain rocks since it doesn't have any plants

{{gwi:222689}}

{{gwi:222690}}

Perry's Baby Red, isn't so small but a bloom machine

{{gwi:222691}}

Comments (9)

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

That is gorgeous. What a wonderful 'xeriscape' yard! Tell me more about your fountain rocks. Are they real rock? Did you drill a hole the entire length? If so, how? They look really cool.

~dianne

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are basalt rock columns, they quarry them near here and they break off in columns naturally.

DH drilled them with a rotohammer.

{{gwi:222692}}

{{gwi:222693}}

and lowered them into place with a rented bobcat

{{gwi:222694}}

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

That looks gorgeous. Great job on the landscaping too.
    Perry's baby red is to die for, is that a small hardy
    lily?
    Also, the blue flowers are forget-me-nots, right?

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Joann, Perry's Baby Red is a small but not miniature hardy.

The little blue flowers are blue star creeper, Pratia pedunculata 'County Park' but....I'm sorry to say they are all gone now. They have not been perennial for me and I'm done planting them every year. That picture is a couple years old. They rot or freeze out in winter. I want evergreen around the ponds so I've planted a variety of sedums and thymes. After five years I've given up on the blue start creeper and Irish and Scotch moss.

• andi_mn
    12 years ago

absolutely gorgeous ponds and the fountains are to die for.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

They're is a lot to be said for low growing evergreens and creeping
    ground covers,(you know, I don't know the names) rather than a lot of flowers around a pond...
    It's very zen like.
    Also, being that your new ponds are in your front yard, they look really nice and lush surrounded in green...:)

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

WOW do you rent out DH? hahaha He did a great job.

Wonderful front yard. Good incentive to plan something interesting with a big piece of liner someone gave me last fall!!!

I guess could make something out of hypertuffa for the water to spout out of. That's lighter than rock anyway.
    Anne

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

Other than the liner, clay, rock and plants, what else is in the little ponds? I've been thinking of making a tiny pond but don't want to have to run electricity or anything like that to make it.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Only the center pond with the fountain rocks has a pump the other three are just liner, dirt, rocks and plants.

They are all full of treefrog tadpoles, dragonflies and all sorts of bugs visit and there are all sorts of aquatic bugs in there too. We cover at night to keep raccoons from destroying the waterlilies.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus